TOB going bad and I need to advice

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
TOB going bad and I need help

I think my TOB is going bad. Probably my fault but not sure. When the vehicle is idling it makes a squealing noise from the back of the motor where the transmission mates up. When I push the clutch in the noise goes away.
The Vehicle specs -
2004 Cobra w/47000 miles.
K&N Fipk and midpipe and catback but otherwise stock

I am either going to change the pulley out or put a Whipple on it in the near future and was looking for recommendations of either Spec 2,2+,3 or 3+. Also, where to purchase from? Also, anyone installed a clutch?

Thanks,
P&V :??:

Last edited:

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
dude, you are not the only one.. mine was making lil squealin noises for about a month.. then all of a sudden it got so bad that it sounded worse than a stuck pig... ...i am doing the whole upgrade to 26spline and having the t-56 rebuilt.. the car has 54k on it and the clutch itself is fine.. the TOB is causing me to do the wholething, that way i only do it once... ...also.. a good place for rebuild kits is www.thegearbox.org i bought the master overhaul kit.. real reasonable peace

Pure03Venom

Imma Ho...
Established Member
It is definitely the TOB...I have been through 2 of them so far (one stock, one from spec which I believe is just like stock)...

If you do a new clutch, get a 3+. I have a 3 and it was a lot lighter than stock, but the driveablity of the 3+ is much better...not quite as on/off as the 3.

Or, you could look at the new spec twin discs. :) That is what is going in my car some time around feb. And like was mention, you might as well do the 26 spline upgrade while you have everything out...just that extra bit of insurance against something breaking later and having to take it all back apart again.

As for purchase locations...www.lethalperformance.com would not be a bad source at all...as well as a few other venders from the site.

jlauth

Established Member
Mine was did the same thing, then one 1st to 3rd nitrous pull and the thing was completely f***ed. When I replaced it the bearings spilled out on to the floor, and upon further inspection I noticed that many had be deformed to and oval shape. If I were you I would go spec 3, and I would also go with a 26 spline input, as said above. I know that most don’t prefer the OEM TOB, and there was an aftermarket piece preferred by most SVTP users. I don't remember the brand name though.

convert03cobra

Established Member
Join the club. I'm getting my TOB replaced in a few weeks. The stock clutch and flywheel are fine, just the TOB squeaks. I figure might as well change the clutch/flywheel since the tranny will be out. I'll be having a Spec 3 clutch, Spec steel flywheel, Spec TOB, and the cooling mod installed. I only have 25K miles on my car and drive it like a baby. Ford but out a bulletin about the 03/04 TOB and they are a known issue. It just seems like it’s a hit or miss on these cars if the TOB is going to go.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
wow. I did not know it was such a problem. I am thinking of doing alot of things since it is finally out of warranty and something major needs fixin'. Here is what I am thinking -
LFP Power Pulley Package 2003-04 Mustang SVT Cobra
Includes -
- LFP QC Upper Pulley Kit
- LFP QC Upper Auxiliary Idler Package
- LFP QC Lower Crank Pulley Kit
- Your Choice of a 2#,4#,6#,or 8# Pulley Ring
- 14mm Hex Head Tool
- Allen Bolt Hardware
- Proper Sized Alternator Pulley

Spec Complete Stage 3+ 26 Spline Clutch Package
Includes -
Spec Pressure Plate