TOB Help

vita

Established Member
When you have a TOB making noises, obviously you replace it. But, I had to drive mine longer than I cared to before I could order the clutch and TOB from AM. What does the TOB wear on? Im thinking I should replace that as well..

Can any one shed some light on this for me?

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
The tob rest against the teeth of the pressure plate. when you replace the clutch you will be replacing the tob.... other than that it rides on the input shaft.. which i dont advise anyone changing unless need be..

zPipes

Established Member
I would suggest also getting a new clutch fork, pivot ball, and pilot bearing as well. But riding with a squeaky tob wont cause any damage elsewise.

smitty2919

Established Member
The tob rest against the teeth of the pressure plate. when you replace the clutch you will be replacing the tob.... other than that it rides on the input shaft.. which i dont advise anyone changing unless need be..

It does not ride directly on the input shaft. The TOB slides over a shaft/sleeve that surrounds the input shaft. This shaft/sleeve can be replaced but I believe you need to separate the bellhousing from the trans in order to unbolt it since it bolts on from inside the trans.

The T45 Source - Proven, reliable T45 Transmissions
tob-tb-icon-wht.png

This is a T56 but it's the same idea.
mmfp_1008_04_o%2b2003_ford_mustang_mach_1%2b26_spline_input_shaft.jpg

When i did the clutch in my car I replaced the following:
FW
FW bolts
Clutch kit
Pressure Plate Bolts
TOB
clutch fork pivot ball stud (http://www.thet45source.com/t45-pivot-ball.php)
FW adjuster
Quadrant
trans fluid

Last edited:

zPipes

Established Member
^ good info, I did forget about the bolts. I ordered my bolts from fastenal after snapping on in the bellhousing. If you get new bolts, make sure they are grade 8 or the metric version 10.9. Especially if you see yourself dropping the tranny multiple times over the life you own the car.

smitty2919

Established Member
Oh and have fun taking the T-45 out. With stock manifolds I had a B!TCH of a time with this damn trans having the integrated bellhousing.

The clutch swap on my 04 GTO with a T56 was a damn breeze compared to the T45 or even T3650.

I did this on jack stands with a trans jack. It will not just pull straight back and out. You need to find the right angle of the motor/trans plus twisting the trans to have the "ears/tabs of the bellhousing clear the trans tunnel. OH and the damn metal bracket the spans the top of the trans to hold the 02 sensor wires. If i got the right angle of the trans, the metal bracket would hit the trans tunnel. Quite annoying. A large hammer to the metal bracket made me feel better after I ripped it out...

Needless to say the bellhousing tabs got shaved off and the metal bracket up top did not get reinstalled. I also chose not to put the top bolt of the starter in because it was a pain to get out.

It will help to have a helper tilt the motor "back" as you install the trans. The weight of the 4V seems to be "front heavy" when it only rests on the motor mounts. A free sitting 4V can be tilted back a good couple of degrees in order to get the right motor/trans angle to have the trans slide up to the motor.

OK, rant over.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread