TOB or TOB sleeve chirp?

SVTerror

New Guy on the Block
Established Member
I have searched for this topic and it seems that this is a common problem with mustangs. My car is a DD and a few days ago out of the blue my car has started the famous "chirp" sound that goes away when I push the clutch pedal in and it goes away after the the car warms up. The car shifts fine. Now does this noise come from the TOB or the TOB sleeve? What kind of problem will it cause if I drive around with this (other than annoying)? What is a good TOB and sleeve to purchase? I will probably NOT have a shop do this since my funds are low and I'm starting school next week and this is my only car to commute with :(.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
its your TOB.. Get the heavy duty FRPP bearing and the sleeve from lethal. Than click on the link in my sig and read my thread on replacing the TOB. Just make sure you adjust the cable so the clutch fork isnt riding on the TOB.

SVTerror

New Guy on the Block
Established Member
I might as well change the clutch with it. Another question, what are the dangers of not changing the TOB when it starts chirping? I keep reading that it could seriously damage your tranny if left alone because the tranny can seize up, but then I also read that people just grease it to quiet it and drive for a while after that.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
I wouldn't wait till it fails on you so I would change it sooner than later. Youre probably ok for the time being but the "chirp" is your 1st sign that it needs attention....

And whatever you do DON'T greese it. It will cause you more hassle down the road. Another bit of advice.... Don't use the TOB what comes with the new clutch. Stay with the heavy dute Ford Racing TOB

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I might as well change the clutch with it. Another question, what are the dangers of not changing the TOB when it starts chirping? I keep reading that it could seriously damage your tranny if left alone because the tranny can seize up, but then I also read that people just grease it to quiet it and drive for a while after that.
If it's the TOB, then the squeeking can be annoying, but not fatal unless the TOB craps out completely and seizes. I'd change it out anyway, along with the sleeve. If clutch has many miles on it, I'd change it out too, but that's just me.

If the sleeve broke (usually hear a banging noise on startup), that can be fatal to the clutch and can make it difficult to shift. The sleeve keeps the TOB centered on the pressure plate. When the sleeve breaks, the broken piece will rub on and mess up the input shaft. Since the TOB cannot stay centered, it will wear oblong marks on the P/P fingers. It's easy to inspect for. If the clutch arm can move up and down, then the sleeve is broken.

Users who are viewing this thread