TOB/Sleeve/Clutch fork problems??

kasee 03

Menudo Eater
Established Member
Every now and then I would hear a clanking type noise coming from the transmission. Later I noticed that when I tapped on the clutch pedal(or just slightly moved it from left to right), I would hear this noise as if somehow movement of the clutch pedal would cause some sort of misalignment of the moving parts. I removed the cover where the shift fork is at(also the end of the clutch cable). The clutch fork was unusually loose when moving in the direction opposite or should I say perpendicular to the movement of what is normal when depresing the clutch pedal. So, with all of this what can be wrong? Clutch fork is loose, retainer sleeve is busted causing a loose clutch fork, bad TOB? Is the clutch fork supposed to be THAT loose? I don't really need a new clutch right now though need this fixed but also want to be ready with purchased replacement parts. I'm already thinking TOB, retainer sleeve, pilot bearing, ??maybe clutch fork and I already have an extra input shaft. Any thoughts? Other than this the car shifts fine for now and the clutch is not slipping, the car has 14k miles by the way.

chrisJ

Established Member
From what you have stated, I would have to say it is a broken Throw out bearing retainer sleeve. The only way for the clutch fork to move perpendicular with the original way of movement would have to only be a broken sleeve. Another way would be if the attaching point of the fork to transmission slipped out but you would not be able to engage or disengage the clutch if that happened. The last thing would be if the throw out bearing slipped out of it's resting possition in the clutch fork.

Check to see how much the perpendicular movement is and if its about 1/4" to 1/2" then I would regretfully say its the sleeve.

It sucks its not a easy job to just get in there and check it out. I feel your pain, I just replaced the whole clutch setup myself this past weekend.;-)

Travizzle

Working Class Hero
Established Member
thats exactly what mine was doing when my sleeve broke. it was rung off at the frount cover of the tranny. its not hard to replace either, just take your time and keep things clean.

kasee 03

Menudo Eater
Established Member
Just ordered a retainer sleeve and TOB from Lethal, I guess 5-6 years later TOB sleeves are busting up as aparent by all the sleeve threads lately. Thanks to all who replied.

Users who are viewing this thread