Too much backlash???

Venom55

Established Member
I had an IRS from an '04 cobra installed in my '98 last week. i noticed that there seems to be a bit more movement in the pinion flange but the technition said is was normal. now, if i'm sitting still and engage the clutch i get a loud "clunk" from the rear before i start to move. this also happens sometimes when i shift from gear to gear depending on how i shift. just seems like the gears should have a tighter tolerance. should i have the guys at the shop take the pumkin apart and check the backlash or is this normal for an '04?

It's normal and it sucks...We have all had to get used to it because the dealer says it's normal. Most of us have learned how to drive around this.

BLWN46

Established Member
I'm wondering the same thing, i have a brand new center section, i will check the backlash before install. I'll guess it's too much .014+, if so i will tighten it down and see the results. TC

BLWN46

Established Member
I think it is probably in the tranny, but i'll try the rear backlash since the diff is out. The brand new diff from ford measures .013, with specs from Fords online repair manual that require .008 - .012, so it is already out of spec with -0- miles? I'll tighten it up as close to .008 before the weekend install and let you know if anything changes.
TC

grnenvy

Established Member
yup

I had my rear fixed way to much back lash. We measured it and it was 15 thousands. So I had Jd's pull it apart install new gears and rebuilt the center section. They also set the back lash tight 10 thousands, it's perfect better then new. Also did the DSS axle's while they were there.

Users who are viewing this thread