Too much backlash???

Venom55

Established Member
I has an IRS from an '04 cobra installed in my '98 last week. i notice that there seems to be a bit more movement in the pinion flange but the technition said is was normal. now, if i'm sitting still and engage the clutch i get a loud "clunk" from the rear before i start to move. this also happens sometimes when i shift from gear to gear depending on how i shift. just seems like the gears should have a tighter tolerance. should i have the guys at the shop take the pumkin apart and check the backlash or is this normal for an '04?

SNSTR_SNK

Established Member
could be from the mounting bolts that they had to revise. but if you've got play in the pinion flange then it sounds like the crush sleeve has been compressed could be from a bad install or if the rear was drag raced read: launched hard it could have crushed the collar

c9obr6a

Established Member
Backlash should be around .012" just pop the cover off get a dial indacater put it on one tooth keeping it strait as possible . Grab the ring gear and rock it back and fourth if it's over .014" then you have a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread