Took down a Typhoon in my Taurus...

yamahaSHO

Established Member
Okay, I normally don't post in this section, but today has been a great day. To start off, I was tweaking my car with a TwEECer all night and got the EEC Anzlyzer to show that I am making 314hp(supposed to be pretty accurate... whether it is or not???).

On the way home from work, I decide to do some data logging so I can fine tune the car(obsession, I know).... Anyway, I see this newly purchased GMC Typhoon(dealer tags) and clean as can be. I think to myself, I have not raced a real vehicle since modding the car. Since I did not get a go at the Evo the day before, I'd figure I'd see how the car would do against this Typhoon. Well, I sit next to him for a while kinda looking out the side of my eye to see if he does anything. I down shift and take it up a few hundred RPM in 2nd to give him an earfull of Borla exhaust... That got his attention. He then blows by me after I let off laughing at me(WTF.... A Taurus?). Well, after waiting for traffic to safely clear, I get next to him and drop it in second at about 45mph... By this time we knew we were going to go and I know he could hear my motor. Well, he gets a split second jump, but not much. I start pulling on him immediately... once 6k RPM came and went, I had him at my rear bumper. I just kept pulling into the next gear. At this point, I am as HAPPY as I could be. I let off after shifting into 3rd. At the light, I'd figure he would ask me some questions like WTF, Does that thing have a Hemi?.... He just called my car a POS and talked trash. That did not bother me as I had a big as$ **** eating grin on my face. I know he could see the laptop sitting in the next seat and all the gauges, so I'm sure he knows its not stock.

Anyway, that race really made my day! Not to mention I have a trunk full of crap at the moment too. Also, the fact that he has a turbo which better serves him for this 5400 ft altitude. I'd really like to race an Evo or an SRT-4 now(from a roll of course.... and stock) and see how the car fairs... Win or lose, I won't be an ***.

314hp.jpg

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
You need a turbo. With your torque I'd love to race you...off the line!:D

That's a nice ass car though. We had a similiar red SHO that someone traded in not too long ago. I hear that like the SVO's of the 80s the SHO's require a LOT of maintenance. Is there truth to this?

tigerwoods

Established Member
you put 2 cars on a mid 14 sec truck from a roll, which is a weak spot for the ty's. that mean you run somewhere around 13.9-14.1 in the quarter. good luck with a evo or srt4. come back and tell us how they look from the back. not bashing your car but you didnt do anything impressive.

and yes i have owned 2 typhoons.

yamahaSHO

Established Member
We'll see what happens... There are a few guys here that want me to race the cars... Both of those cars get much better launches than my FWD boat. Especially the Evo.... Great launches, but also lose power through the AWD platform.

And yes, that is impressive... when stock, I got raped by a stock Typhoon from a roll.

BlueSHO

i love lamp
Established Member
still is :D i spun mine to 8,000 today on accident
shoulda been paying better attention to the tach i guess

yamahaSHO

Established Member
I've taken mine up to 8000 rpm on accident as well. Power was still nice and smooth and the Yamaha motors can handle it. With the cams, I still have some power up there. I have a friend with stage 2 cams and he is still making power at 7k rpm.

Yes, the SHO is a maintenance hog!! I've got a few stories about that on my web page. (Shit Happens Often)

Last edited:

SHOspazz92

Established Member
Originally posted by tigerwoods
you put 2 cars on a mid 14 sec truck from a roll, which is a weak spot for the ty's. that mean you run somewhere around 13.9-14.1 in the quarter. good luck with a evo or srt4. come back and tell us how they look from the back. not bashing your car but you didnt do anything impressive.

and yes i have owned 2 typhoons.

A mid 14 second Truck? Keep dreaming, If they were still in production, The Typhoon/Scyclone would still hold the fastest Truck In the world Title.

machone

NA power
Established Member
Good run jason, ive always thought you have one of the nicest n/a shos around. Wish mine was that nice. I would of loved to see that thing in person.

tigerwoods

Established Member
Originally posted by SHOspazz92
A mid 14 second Truck? Keep dreaming, If they were still in production, The Typhoon/Scyclone would still hold the fastest Truck In the world Title.

:sleeping:

oh, sorry i am awake now. i was dreaming about a different truck from dodge. i found a little info on it. you maybe right. you should read this first before you get mad at me.
http://trucks.about.com/cs/2004dodgetrucks/a/gaughn_srt10.htm

oops i guess you were wrong. thats ok better luck next time.

SHOspazz92

Established Member
Originally posted by tigerwoods
:sleeping:

oh, sorry i am awake now. i was dreaming about a different truck from dodge. i found a little info on it. you maybe right. you should read this first before you get mad at me.
http://trucks.about.com/cs/2004dodgetrucks/a/gaughn_srt10.htm

oops i guess you were wrong. thats ok better luck next time.

I myself was reffering to the lightning, witch not long ago had the title, Forgot about the ram, tho the ram still hardly has anything over the Lightning as far as performance Figures go. :beer:

BLUBLLS

LMAO who said the Typhoon was a mid 14 truck? Try mid-high 13 SUV. The Syclone is a low-mid 13 truck. Buddy has a bone stock Typhoon that runs 13.7-8, guess that throws your bs claim of mid 14 out the window.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Whatever the case, a taurus beating a typhoon is an accomplishment

BTW that is a beautiful engine you got their:rockon:

Last edited:

tigerwoods

Established Member
go to syty.org and get the facts. the typhoon is a 14 second truck. the syclone is a 13 second truck. in every make of veichle some are faster and some are slower. for every 13 second stock ty there is 10 that cant break the 14 sec barrier. come to kc for the syty nats next june and count how many stock ty's run in the 13's. this year there were none. i know that you guys want the typhoon to be fast so you can brag. that is ok beleive what you will but make sure you know what your talking about. go look at all of the tests done from gm and the magazines back in 1991 and 1992. they all say the same thing. 14.2 at 95mph. with icing the intercooler down and hardwiring the IC pump you could possibley get a stock ty in the 13s with a good launch.

Users who are viewing this thread