Took my Getrag apart for fun over the weekend...

03SVTF

@10psi
Established Member
J/K, I had a good reason. Heres some install pics for my 03 SVT Focus. Its had a JRSC for about 12k miles on the original clutch which is 40k old(car x2). It would slip in high-heat situations but not under normal driving. It was incapable of drag launching so here in lies the problem.

Hers the new Spec Stage 2 Clutch, Spec Aluminum flywheel, and Torsen LSD, next to the old clutch and the SLOPPY dual-mass flywheel.
2141079_75_full.jpg

2141079_78_full.jpg

Torsen Installed in the Getrag lump.

2141079_76_full.jpg

Flywheel on the car

2141079_77_full.jpg

BEAUTIFUL clutch, but I don't want to have to see it for awhile. The job took me about 15 hours over 2 days with only a little help manhandling it up in there.

The slave cylinder was a pain to get the air out of the lines without the car wanting to surge in 1st with the clutch in. It shifted tough for about the first 5 mins but after everything got lubed up again after some driving everything just felt great. The combination is very streetable, the pedal is heavy but engages hard.

I still have the "pleasure" of stock motor mounts which leads to a very smooth cabin experience but allows a dangerous amount of engine rocking imo. I think I am going to need as strong an engine mount as possible, im leaning towards the mac rear- i also saw significant movement on the trans mount so I think I need that too now. Does anybody have any good/bad comments about trans motor mounts with Aluminum flywheels.

I cant wait to get this on the track this summer and see what kinds of numbers I can get. I ran 14.1 @ 99 before the stock clutch really went downhill, so im def hoping for a high 13.

So to make a long story short it was a good weekend.

ucntseemeee

2003 SVT Focus
Established Member
HMMMM, well the aluminum flywheel is gonna cost you on uphill drives..you'll be downshifting alot when ascending..but your rev's will be much faster and fall faster as well, no more hanging revs. if i were you i'd go with the mounts that cfm offers.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1197 <<<<click

im getting them in a couple of weeks cuz ive had a broken mount for around 10k miles now!!! i know i know, im a douche haha. im just an extremely broke ass white boy with two kids and a wife.

if you dont mind my asking, how much was your kit and what all entails yanking our tranny out. is it a weekend kinda thing, or should i start on it thursday? im in need of a new clutch something terrible, along with the lsd!

Last edited:

03SVTF

@10psi
Established Member
I only got to drive it about 40 miles but felt like I had more than sufficient power going up hills. 1-2-3 pull very hard throughout the rpm's and it seems to have more balls above 2500. This was a project but it was definately worth it. The clutch/fly I got ran me around 900 and the Torsen is like 700.

I did this in the shop where I work with access to the proper engine hangers, trans lift, hydraulic press, seal drivers, and shop air which I would not attempt without. The Ford service book calls for you to drop the subframe but I saw that as unnecessary. I left it in and except for making the starter bolts and rear bell-housing bolts a little extra tricky it wasn't much of an inconvenience. However, I don't think you could leave the subframe in without the right lift to get the trans up and over the subframe where it covers the rear control arm bushing. This required rolling the trans into place somewhat. This definately is not that bad of a project but I wouldn't even dream of doing this without a real lift and tools readily accessible.

HTPerformance

The poly motor mounts are definitely a great way to remove the engine movement. You'll be able to hook-up a lot easier. A lot of people get the tranny mount alone, and shortly down the road the other 2 fail, so I'd recommend getting the three at the same time.

I would recommend to you the CFM rear mount, and the Steeda pass and driver side mounts. I have the VF ones, and they are not the same quality as the Steeda pieces.
The CFM rear mount is far superior to the other available mounts and should not break or warp like the MAC or VF.

Looks like a good install! Congrats!

03SVTF

@10psi
Established Member
I assume I was wrongly informed then when someone told me that VF makes the CFM rear mount for them. I was also always impressed with the steeda mounts, I'm also thinking of fabbing up the Zetec Ingalls stiffy mount to work on the SVT, I've seen it done

HTPerformance

Yes I have the stiffy on mine, rather than alter the stiffy to fit on the SVT I changed the mounting piece on my engine block to the OEM Zetec one, and bought the Zetec Steeda mount, no alterations needed.

03SVTF

@10psi
Established Member
Yes I have the stiffy on mine, rather than alter the stiffy to fit on the SVT I changed the mounting piece on my engine block to the OEM Zetec one, and bought the Zetec Steeda mount, no alterations needed.

Good thinkin, I think I'll do that - Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread