Took out a (cheating) 5.0

Sith

Banned
Sorry it was too dark to really get a good look at it, but I'd guess it was a mid 80's 5.0..anyway...

I pulled up to this three lane light. I get in the left lane, this soon to be victim is in the right lane. I didn't even notice him in all honesty and all of a sudden i hear him (sounds pretty sweet) gun it off the line so of course I didn't try to catch him right then, I just pull a target on him.

So another 1000 feet or so is another light. unfortunetly it turns green before either of us can stop and get set so i get behind him, meanwhile the lanes are now down to 2, and theres a car in the left lane. I get behind the subject in the right lane and wait till we clear the intersection to pull up next to him, the moment i make my move left to switch lanes he decides to gun it. (wtf? :dw: ) keep in mind i was about a car behind him this whole time to begin with so he besically starts with a 1 car lead, add to the fact that i'm not in t he right gear (3rd @ about 30 mph) so i gun it, didn't bother to downshift just road it out. I pulled on him initially a little bit (to my suprise) before he evened it out, but that was before i started pulling hard on him (~60 mph). By 100 mph i was door to door with him and at about 110 he quit as i had about a half car to a car on him.

I respect fellow mustang owners and refuse to hunt lesser powered mustangs (although you never know what a car has done to it) but these are the kind of idiots i like to smack around here and there. Talk about now knowing how to race, I try to pull up next to him to even it out to initiate the race and he takes off...oh well I got him anyway.

Last edited:

5.0snake

PA Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
nice...I hate when cars try to run from me. Im like hey, you think your car is so fast lets make it even right?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Nice that you got him in the long run. Every once in a while that sh*t happens to me as well. You try to play catch up to line up the cars but the other guy just keeps accelerating even in traffic. Scared I supose. :shrug:

SVT04

Established Member
Scared has nothing to do with it ......if a car takes off and you cannot match or exceed his acceleration ....in other words you can't catch up or keep up with the other car to overtake him or pass him ...then you lose ...simple as that.

I did that twice with my 04 Cobra ...pulled away hard from a SS Camaro and then he came up beside and said " I wasn't trying" ....whatever he came up behind and tried to pass but couldn't do it...he tried to run me down ,but no dice...then he came alongside at a light and I smoked him by a whole bunch from the green.... :loser:

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
svt04, why wouldn't you just line up next and do the three honks?

stanger133

From my cold dead hands!
Established Member
One of the thing I hate is when you and the other driver are going to race and pull up to a U-turn and someone doesn't wait to line up they just punch it

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
thenoz said:
If you are going for an impromptu street race why would you want to make three loud honks to alert the authorities of your location? So the CHIP is getting coffee and he hears the honks. Now he has you hard for drag racing. If you just go for a quick run and keep it within limits then chances are you might get away with a tongue lashing. I guess I am old school but this horn honking is for the birds. Pull up alongside and just give a nod for him to hit it and be ready. Most of the rolling street races I have are usually for one or two gears at best, and that is with 4.56 gears. You know right away who has the best roll. So why turn that into a chance of losing your license. Without the horn honk you could say you were just trying to get into that lane and he was screwing with you. A good lawyer could get you out of it, but if you announce your race with a three count then stick your head between your knees and kiss your license good bye.

If you want to go for an all out race go to the track or head out of town, come to a complete stop, and go on a count of three. Now you have a race. If you just want to test rolling power you don't need an even start. Whoever pulls harder wins, it doesn't matter who is in front or behind. I have had cars behind me and just gave him the 1-2-3 fingers and we ran in a single lane. If he has to let out of it then he won, if you pull away then you have better rolling punch.

Roll on is deoderant. :shrug:

Just my two cents worth, and it probably isn't even worth two cents :lol:

MadHandle8169

Established Member
I have one worse than that I raced an A-Hole in a newer eclipse with at least exhaust for about 2 seconds in 2nd gear after he got the jump and I started to pull but had to let off because of a slow car in my lane. We then pull up to a light and he starts talking smack. Since he initiated it(mind you he has his wife in the passenger seat and child in the back seat) I say race me when there isn't a car in front of me you Pu$$y! As the light turns green I launch perfect and he pulls a sharp right turn off the road. That was frustrating. I wanted to chase him down and fight him for all the stuff he said about Mustangs but then again I didn't feel like going to jail because of some moron in an Eclipse.

fre

Established Member
you know the whole reason people do that is to get you to run to see how close you can stay right? It's not like they want to actually race but just get an idea of your acceleration. People only do this to piss the other people off to try and get them to nail it. I usually just cruise behind them and let them take off. It's very rare I see that though.

Sith

Banned
fre said:
you know the whole reason people do that is to get you to run to see how close you can stay right? It's not like they want to actually race but just get an idea of your acceleration. People only do this to piss the other people off to try and get them to nail it. I usually just cruise behind them and let them take off. It's very rare I see that though.

I don't agree with that, I think people generally do it when they feel a little outmatched or threatned that way they can tell themselves they won if they can somehow pull away.

SVT04

Established Member
Lining up and doing the three honks works fine, and we do it all the time from a roll. I just wanted to see if he could run me down and catch up. As I said he could not. We have raced plenty of cars from a dig or from a roll ,and I have found that I can also run down and overtake plenty of "fast" cars as well. Just a different way of doing things...try it you might like it...

thenoz said:

EddieGT

Life begins at 8 psi...
Established Member
The other day I was cruising down the freeway at about 65 MPH. I noticed in the distance a black Mustang that looked like a GT, but as I got closer I realized it was a '99 Cobra (noticed the SVT logo, but the MUSTANG word on the bumper).

He must've been doing 60 cuz I came up behind him, then I switched to the HOV lane (had my brother in law with me) and pulled along side the guy. I waved, he looked but didn't even nod or anything, just gave me the narliest look, don't know why.

So then I sort of punched it a little (6th gear, just let it spool up a bit)... Nothing.

Then I downshifted to 5th, hit the gas a little.... Nothing.

So then I hit 6th again, and just cruised alongside, and looked at him to see if he'd respond at all.. I just wanted to say "Hey" to a fellow Cobra own...

Suddenly, the mother***ker downshifts and takes off like a bat out of hell... By instinct, my foot sank into the clutch pedal, I hit 3rd, and I took off... When I hit 3rd (65 MPH), I was about 1 full car length behind him... By 85 MPH I was already at his door, and by 100 I was next to him... I shifted at around 105 ~ 108 MPH and started pulling on him about a car lengths every 10 MPH. I was about 2 and a half car lengths by the time I shifted into 5th gear and remembered I had a 17 year old in my car and I was just being stupid and irresponsible going that fast (he, however, loved every second of it).

So I slowed down until I was next to him... He NEVER looked at me, not once... I just wanted to wave one last time but instead I felt like flipping him off by now.

My sole intent was not to race/beat him, it was to cruise along a fellow Cobra driver (mine's a black too, so I figured it would be really cool). I guess he didn't care.

The ironic part about it was that I took the next exit and turned back onto the freeway (heading the opposite direction). As I hopped onto the freeway my bro-in-law goes "Hey, there's that black Cobra again!"... Weird thing is, it was indeed a '99 black Cobra, but it was a different perrson thsi time! What are the odds? This guy, though, revved his engine, waved and smiled... It brought my hopes back that the Mustang community does have nice people in it. :)

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I thought it was relevant since people were discussing the whole deal about whether to pull up next to someone and gun it, or honk your horn, or whatever. In my case, he took off, so did too.. No horns, no waves, no signals... Just plain old Id.

nice job. I did that 1 morning to school with a 99+ Gt on the highway. He was in front of me and floored it, i was in 4th going 50 mph getting on the highway, I see him floor it, downshift to 2nd and play catch up. I reeled him in to the point where I was riding his ass pretty bad. Couldn't switch lanes cus of other cars but it was fun none the less:)

crystal_SVT

Established Member
99_venum said:
If you are going for an impromptu street race why would you want to make three loud honks to alert the authorities of your location? So the CHIP is getting coffee and he hears the honks. Now he has you hard for drag racing. If you just go for a quick run and keep it within limits then chances are you might get away with a tongue lashing. I guess I am old school but this horn honking is for the birds. Pull up alongside and just give a nod for him to hit it and be ready. Most of the rolling street races I have are usually for one or two gears at best, and that is with 4.56 gears. You know right away who has the best roll. So why turn that into a chance of losing your license. Without the horn honk you could say you were just trying to get into that lane and he was screwing with you. A good lawyer could get you out of it, but if you announce your race with a three count then stick your head between your knees and kiss your license good bye.

If you want to go for an all out race go to the track or head out of town, come to a complete stop, and go on a count of three. Now you have a race. If you just want to test rolling power you don't need an even start. Whoever pulls harder wins, it doesn't matter who is in front or behind. I have had cars behind me and just gave him the 1-2-3 fingers and we ran in a single lane. If he has to let out of it then he won, if you pull away then you have better rolling punch.

Roll on is deoderant. :shrug:

Just my two cents worth, and it probably isn't even worth two cents :lol:

i agree there.. dont honk.. thats kinda stupid if ask me unless ur in the middle of nowhere. out all the times i've ever raced i never honked or seen ppl doit.. an im from the motor city :p so it didnt orginate from here :shrug:

fre

Established Member
Simple way to get out of this.... don't bother with them let them go and think they are superior.... who cares.

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
crystal_SVT said:
i agree there.. dont honk.. thats kinda stupid if ask me unless ur in the middle of nowhere. out all the times i've ever raced i never honked or seen ppl doit.. an im from the motor city :p so it didnt orginate from here :shrug:
I grew up in Howell so you are right, it didn't start in MI. Used to race a lot on Telegraph :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread