Took the Cobra to the track last night...

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
And I am a bit disappointed in myself
Im pushing 505rwhp and 630 rwtq and I cant break into the 11's, and with all the stories I see on this board of cars well into the 11's with less horsepower then me, well Im seriously pissed off!
Im using the Micky Thompson ET Streets street legal radial
Im running with the Eibach antoroll bars, front and rear (I forgot to remove the links from the front) and the Eibach pro-kit springs, so ofcourse I dont have drag racing suspension. Temps where probably around 70's or so, nice night. Elevation here is 2200' above sea level. First 2 runs where on 13.5 pounds of boost(turbo)
R/T .003
60ft time:2.78
330: 6.135
1/8: 8.813
mph: 92.13
1000' 11.091
1/4 12.978
mph 120.96
(1st run happenings: I had tire pressure set at 20psi. I had to race a bike, so my adrenaline kicked in to much and I tried not to lose, so I really lost my concentration. I did a good burn out. but launched to high in the rpm and spun badly out of the whole and I didnt shift cause I knew I was just spinning and wasnt moving, so after I hit the rev limiter like 3 times, I shifted into second. I had a bit of trouble shifting into 3rd, had the push the clutch in 2 times, no problems in 3rd or going into forth. Seems like im hitting my rev limiter at the end of the run, top of forth, before I finish the run.. so that sucks)

second run:
60ft 1.863
330 5.165
1/8 7.852
mph 92.39
1000 10.141
1/4 12.003
mph 120.25
(2nd run happenings: I dropped the pressure to 15 psi on the tires. did a bit longer burn out. this time I concentrated on launching properly. I turned my music up, lol. I once again misshifted into 3rd gear, I guess im trying to shift to fast and not fully engageing before i let the clutch out. but 3 to 4th gear was flawless., my best run of the night)

third run:
60ft 2.041
330 5.309
1/8 7.958
mph 91.78
1000 10.557
1/4 13.126
mph 83.22
(3rd run happenings: the water box was non exsistant, my burnout sucked. Had 12 psi on the tires this time. turned the boost up to 15 psi (opposed to 13.5 on the previous 2 runs) My launched sucked again, spun to much and shifted to 2nd to quick, bogged it. shifted into 3rd a bit slower, but smoother. then I completely F'ed up and tried to powershift into 4th and completely missed it, so I coasted to the finish, it stayed in neutral the rest of the run, I was pissed off)

Critizism is welcomed and maybe some tips on how to launch or what pressure to run these tires with. Im sure as hell no expert in drag racing so yeah..
but I was definately abit angered about my shifting..
And also track prep was ridiculous!!! I mean, they dont care, they are letting them run just if like they where on the street, they where so many cars going through the lanes it wasnt funny... I was there for 3 hours to run 3 times :fm:

I know the car has alot left in it, its running strong with no ill effects at all, engine sounds smooth after every run, seems to stay at 180-185 degrees all night, even during a run and after. (mechanical gauge)

Any thoughts? Besides kicking the driver in the ass? lol
But seriously, even making the shifts, I would of expected faster times, but based on the numbers, any clues, tips, ideas?

Kevins89notch

Established Member
My track experience is limited, but I did run an 11.9 on a stock 5.0 with a S-Trim and slicks. I was running 26x10/5 ET Drags on some 10 holes. I had them set to about 13-15psi, and it was an honest 35 degrees outside(IA). I did a nice long burnout, and rolled up to the lights. I knew reaction time doesn't mean shit, so I didn't worry about it. When I saw the green light, I hit the gas to about 3/4th throttle. Somewhere in the 4-5K range, I then dumped the clutch, and mashed the gas. I got about 6 passes in that day, and was cutting my 60 foot time each pass, increasing my 1/4 time. I had about a 1.71 60' and a 12.1 as my best. I thought about giving up, as I was 3 hours from home, and I drove it there with the slicks in the back seat. Naw, that would be the smart thing. I could see that 11. I went again, and managed a 1.68 60' on stock suspension. That earned me an 11.93 at 116!

You said...

60ft 1.863
1/4 12.003
mph 120.25

and missing 3rd? Get some slicks, yank a 1.6 60', and that sounds like a mid 11 around 125.

johnh

Established Member
You had three passes and none of them were clean. You can't compare those times to anything but your MPH is good for such crappy runs. I would go back to the track and practice your driving.

Your best run being the second and you miss third and still ran a 12.0? Sounds like a solid 11.50 car on radials. I would be happy considering the suspension.

Lots and Lots of practice...

svt2205

Established Member
It's all about practice and a little bit of patience to go along with all that practice.... And it doesn't matter if your searching for that 11 or whatever. Took me forever to finally break the 13 second barrier, years ago.

One other thing, is your making too many adjustments. Get to know what you're doing on one set up. Build from there.

Must be fun running with that level of power!!!

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I agree with John and Henry.

I don't know what rpm you are launching at but based off your 60' times you are either spinning or bogging because you are not launching high enough to build immediate boost with the turbo.

My recommendation (and my opinion) is that you need to set tire psi at 10 while the tires are COLD. Do a nice smoky burnout and your tire psi should go back up to 13 by the time you pull up to the tree
Launch at 5k rpm minimum. This should keep you from bogging when the car hooks which will allow the boost to come on strong. There is definitely some more mph left on the table and your mph you had last night is definitely deep in the 11's when everything goes right.

It does take practice especially with the power level you are at. That's a whole different driving experience when your at the power level. Especially when you get the car to dead hook. Its the best feeling in the world!

sled

Established Member
sounds like your spinning your ass off. my cobra is auto which is better for drag racing, but i only trap 4mph faster than you and i run high 10s! screw playing with those drag radials my car spins the shit outta them. get real ET drag slicks on 15s, heat them up real good in 2nd gear not first. bring it up to the line and slip the clutch hard from 4k. my car does 1.5 60 foots leaving at 3200rpm on the foot brake.

racerbox77

Established Member
With drag radials and stiff suspension and 600+ of torque you've got a lot workin against you.
Nest time you go-
With that set up first I would disconnect the front sway bar
Tire pressure at 10
Rev it steady to 3500 rpm
Quickly slip the clutch while giving it gas
Dont worry about shifting fast just get it in gear
Pick up your 11 sec time slip

Next time bolt the slicks on and with your power and suspension you should be around my times.

Last edited:

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
i went to the track last nigth also as you can see in my thread. my first pass which sucked balls i cut a 1.9 60' on 7psi and 13* total timing and went 11.8* sway bar still hooked up (because i didn't take it off yet) and stock suspension and rear, stock 93 cobra bottom end. My personal recomendations would be:

10psi or so cold tire pressure.
I'd lauch high and see where it best suits your car. i'd say 5000 to start if your spinning terrible which your probably going to regardless on an ET Street just keep moving it around until you find your spot. you shouldn't have a single problem running an 11 second pass on a drag radial cutting a 1.8 60' spinning into second gear. I ran 123.mph and the track i was at isn't exactly level, it's uphill if anything. with your mph you shouldn't have a problem running an 11.50 with a good 60'. First you need to practice making your shifts... Buy a shifter if you don't have one. and work on shifting fast. now i'm not power shifting by any means, but you gotta be able to bang out some gears :)

mgerman93

Established Member
You have a low 11 sec car with that trap speed at 2200 ft! The drag radial/turbo will require you to be smoothe with the delivery off the line. A little more practice will get you the results you're after..........

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
A couple of more info on my car...
Its got .81 housing on the turbo, so I get positive boost at 1800 rpm, full boost at 2950-3000 rpm. So there is no issue spooling the turbo at all, its got so much torque that even when launching lower RPM then getting on it, it just overpowers the tires.. Once it hooks up, top of 2nd, through 3rd and 4th gear, the car pulls like a beast. I have people telling me I should be able to launch around 4k with the drag radials, but atleast not with this suspension set up cause I spin all through 1st gear every time...

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I didn't realize that you were on drag radials. I thought you were on et streets.

Get rid of the drag radials, you will not be going anywhere with the torque you have

carguy19

Established Member
I went 11.30 on the MT et radials with my old LX.

10lbs and they should hook. They are not as good as a full slick, but they are the best DR out there by far.

Make sure you heat them up good too.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
sounds like your spinning your ass off. my cobra is auto which is better for drag racing, but i only trap 4mph faster than you and i run high 10s! screw playing with those drag radials my car spins the shit outta them. get real ET drag slicks on 15s, heat them up real good in 2nd gear not first. bring it up to the line and slip the clutch hard from 4k. my car does 1.5 60 foots leaving at 3200rpm on the foot brake.

+1

I am pushing way less power than you on spray and I cannot run drag radials. Best I can get is a 12.0 on drags but I go 11.78 on slicks with a 1.58 60ft and my swaybar still on AND hooked up. I go off the limiter on slicks and just hang on. I aslo run 10psi in my slicks with tubes.

Get some Mickey 26inch ET slicks and watch your times drop!

Users who are viewing this thread