Tool box question

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I need some assistance finding a tool box for my shed. But there's a catch.

I dont want any really deep(vertical depth) drawers or doors. I will attach a picture. I want only one some what deep drawer on the top which is labeled "B" which will be for my sockets and i want the rest shallow like "A."

No snap on or high end boxes. I refuse to buy an expensive box and most of my tools are now coming from harbor freight. Trying to keep it under $1000. If my only choice is one more expensive, ill search for it used.

I keep finding stuff with doors, huge drawers etc. I dont want that. This is only for hand tools.

toolbox.jpg

SlySy

My son watches My Little Pony???wtf
Established Member
I got 1 of those US General tool boxes from HF and I love it. I couldn't justify a multi thousand dollar box from snap-on or the like so I got a bottom and top chest from HF and couldn't be happier with it. Only problem I found was I had to go buy more tools to fill it up to justify the size of it :)

coposrv

Established Member
Go with the HF 44". I have a lista and a HF box. The lista was 5 times the money of the HF and there's no difference in quality IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
None they offer meet the criteria i want.
Fill deep drawers with these machined socket holders:
http://westlingmachine.com/ToolHolders.html
I plan to do something like that. That's why i want only one semi deep drawer for my sockets upright. For my many wrenches and other tools, slim drawers should do fine.
I got 1 of those US General tool boxes from HF and I love it. I couldn't justify a multi thousand dollar box from snap-on or the like so I got a bottom and top chest from HF and couldn't be happier with it. Only problem I found was I had to go buy more tools to fill it up to justify the size of it :)
I have a little craftsman box and i out grew it big time. And currently a shed im out growing. I cant get a tall box that fits my needs since im only 5' 7". I cant see into the top area of the taller boxes. More than half my tools are all the counter top in my shed. It looks terrible.
Go with the HF 44". I have a lista and a HF box. The lista was 5 times the money of the HF and there's no difference in quality IMO.
I agree with quality. A guy at work has two BIG HF chest and they are fine and roll smooth. However, none of the HF(including the 44") have what i need.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
Man, tool chests have gotten expensive. My Craftsman was $200 back in the day, but I got it free & my other box came from HD & was listed for about $80, but only cost me $40 out of pocket. Not looking forward to when I need another one!

LightningLou

Established Member
I've got the 44" 13-drawer roller chest from HF. Had it for over 3 years now and no complaints at all. Drawers still pull in and out just as smooth as when I got it.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I've decided just to get the harbor freight 72" in a few months. I'll make do with the drawer layout. I like how big it is and the price. Plus I can stack another box on top.

08mojo

Established Member
Take a look at blue print storage if you want shallow-depth storage. You can find used cabinets for cheap! The ones we have at our office are all workbench height with a huge tabletop to work on--as they are intended to unroll large-format printed drawings.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Worst decision of my life was buying my roll around and not a regular box.

Yea I might've gotten it for 99 bucks at HF on sale five years ago, but jesus christ is it over full.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Worst decision of my life was buying my roll around and not a regular box.

Yea I might've gotten it for 99 bucks at HF on sale five years ago, but jesus christ is it over full.
Can you explain? I dont see an issue with a roll around. It will be stationary 99.99% of the time. I like how the wheels raise the entire box off the ground. If i ever over fill and put too much weight in it, i can jack it up and put it on wood with the wheels off the ground. Then take tools out to move.

98red, i checked out that site. They are more expensive then the HF units with the same drawer layout. The more i think about it, the more i can use the deeper drawers. It seems i rushed too quick thinking i couldnt utilize them.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Can you explain? I dont see an issue with a roll around. It will be stationary 99.99% of the time. I like how the wheels raise the entire box off the ground. If i ever over fill and put too much weight in it, i can jack it up and put it on wood with the wheels off the ground. Then take tools out to move.

98red, i checked out that site. They are more expensive then the HF units with the same drawer layout. The more i think about it, the more i can use the deeper drawers. It seems i rushed too quick thinking i couldnt utilize them.

What I have is a true roll around. So split top drawer, and two deepish drawers below. And of course the top of the box under the lid is where sockets go etc. It's great to wheel around next to a car as you need it. But for storage of major air tools, socket sets, and all things mechanical - it sucks. It's really not meant to substitute a full size box and that's my error.

Blown 89

Established Member
Nice! Are they magnetic? Maybe I overlooked that part.....
They aren't. I'm not too concerned about them not being magnetic because all of my magnetic holders attract crap.

Some brands of socket fit really tight on them and others fit loosely. Either way it's the best money I've ever spent outside of the actual tools in the toolbox. I have a set in my race trailer and a set at home holding my impact sockets. It's nice to be able to grab the entire tray without it being flimsy and everything is labeled big and clear. I've been really happy with them. I need another set....I wonder if they'd be open to a group buy?

Users who are viewing this thread