Tool for coolant refill with vacuum

big dad

Established Member
That's a good deal, and it works great. I paid $250 for mine from Snap-On. Get it, you won't regret it.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
That's a good deal, and it works great. I paid $250 for mine from Snap-On. Get it, you won't regret it.

How do you use it on these 4Vs? It looks like it drains and fills? Will it also work on a system that already has fluid but might have air inside?

Thanks! :beer:

big dad

Established Member
How do you use it on these 4Vs? It looks like it drains and fills? Will it also work on a system that already has fluid but might have air inside?

Thanks! :beer:

Yes it will work with a system that has fluid and an air pocket. It puts the system under vacuum, then you can suck fresh fluid in. It also works great for filling the intercooler system. If it's done properly it's alot easier and quicker than the aforementioned fill plug method, and safer.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Yes it will work with a system that has fluid and an air pocket. It puts the system under vacuum, then you can suck fresh fluid in. It also works great for filling the intercooler system. If it's done properly it's alot easier and quicker than the aforementioned fill plug method, and safer.

Does it drain as well or no?

big dad

Established Member
If you are low on coolant a little it will suck some out as you put the system under vacuum. The best way to drain the system is by removing the drain plug on the radiator, or remove the t-stat which is in the lower rad hose and should remove even more coolant because it's the lowest point in the cooling system.

I honestly do not understand how someone would pay $100 for a tool to refill the cooling system, when you can do it manually for free and have that car burped correctly within 2 days.

That's really the issue with these cars. Guys are trying to rush through the burping procedure because they can't take a chill pill and do it over the course of 2 days.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I honestly do not understand how someone would pay $100 for a tool to refill the cooling system, when you can do it manually for free and have that car burped correctly within 2 days.

That's really the issue with these cars. Guys are trying to rush through the burping procedure because they can't take a chill pill and do it over the course of 2 days.

2 days is a pain in the ass, there's racing to be done. :burnout:

TRBO VNM

I have a similar kit and love it. I also have a snap on tool that applies pressure. So after I fill either the intercooler setup or engine coolant I apply pressure with the other tool to make sure it holds and there are no leaks.

If someone thinks just filling through the fill hole is all you need to do, then you haven't been around here long enough. There are many people that this process just doesn't work for.

And 2 days? Man, pretty soon everyone will be waiting on their car longer than they will be driving them. 2 days to fill cooling system, 24hrs to seal diff cover before putting fluid in. What's next? Wait a week for the headlight fluid to settle before you can aim the headlights?

nclewis

Established Member

Because when you do it for a living, that old saying "time is money" has never been truer. Plus, It's one of the safest ways I've seen to do it, a great investment for me, and has paid for itself a few times. When you do it like this, there is no "burping" procedure.

big dad

Established Member
You took the words right out of my mouth. As a retired Tech. I couldn't agree more with your statement.
Also, when using this system, if you have a leak somewhere, it won't hold vacuum so you know before hand you have a problem.

Because when you do it for a living, that old saying "time is money" has never been truer. Plus, It's one of the safest ways I've seen to do it, a great investment for me, and has paid for itself a few times. When you do it like this, there is no "burping" procedure.

OP doesn't do this for a living.

Hence why I stated what I said.

nclewis

Established Member
OP doesn't do this for a living.

Hence why I stated what I said.

Even still, why wouldn't someone want to invest in an inexpensive tool that does it right, the first time? Well worth the investment. I highly recommend he gets it. Look at it like this, While you're "burping" your coolant system, he's at the track making passes. Which would you rather do? :banana:

Even still, why wouldn't someone want to invest in an inexpensive tool that does it right, the first time? Well worth the investment. I highly recommend he gets it. Look at it like this, While you're "burping" your coolant system, he's at the track making passes. Which would you rather do? :banana:

Because you don't need to spend $100 to burp the cooling system. All you need are 4 heating cycles over a 2 day period. One in the morning and one at night. Recommend whatever you want. Someone who doesn't need this for a shop, is simply buying an overkill tool. A lot of folks are just very impatient when it comes to burping the cooling system and its not likely you are tinkering with the cooling system every week.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Burped mine within 2hrs with a funnel and the car running. She bubbled up for awhile then no bubbles. No issues with my cooling system.

Btw she runs around 185~190* with my riesche Tstat

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread