Tool recommendations

hb712

Established Member
I sell tools and I have all the brands that you listed in my box.
You can not go wrong with SK. They were a strong company a few years back but ran into trouble when they tried to get into the air tool business. They have been trying to make a comeback but it has been slow. The issue with them will be getting replacement tools when they break.
Gear Wrench makes a good low to med wrench which it sounds like what you are looking for and can be found everywhere.
As others have said, Milwakee for electric tools.
This is right on. I worked for Mac Tools and we often sourced a lot of the brands listed here for customers.

My suggestion is to look on Craigslist for hand tools. You'll often find a tech in a bad place financially who is liquidating his assets. For new stuff, stick with the brands listed in here. I do suggest looking at Snapon if your budget allows for tools that you will use most often (their ratchets are the shit). IR stuff is perfect for air tools--they actually make them for a lot of the big tool companies. For power, I use both Milwaukee and Dewalt, though for cordless I prefer Milwaukee.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I have mostly Matco and SnapOn. My toolbox is Matco. I also have a bunch of Craftsman. For air tools I pretty much have all Matco. I had a bunch of the Craftsman C3 power tools, but the impact gun left a lot to be desired. I picked up an IR 20V impact that is pretty awesome for my needs.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
SK tools are made in USA and priced in between Snapon and Craftsman. You can't go wrong with it. I have Snapon sockets and I have SK sockets. They both have equal quality in my opinion. I have some SnapOn ratchets as well as Amrstrong brand ratchets and I like the Armstrong ratchets far more. All of my electric and air tools are Snap-On though, I love them. For toolboxes, I have Lista, slightly cheaper than Snapon but much higher quality and you can create your own drawer configuration which you can't do with Snap On. There is also much greater flexibility in the customization.

http://www.lista-automotive.com/
http://www.skhandtool.com/

As far as a floor jack is concerned, buy Hein-Werner! Made in USA and it has a proven design. The chinese jacks will always leak within two years. The Hein-Wener will last forever. I picked up my jack for $200 brand new on ebay. Expect to pay $300-350 from a retailer that sells them. You will really like it and don't cheap out on the jack. I had jacks from Sears and Harbor Freight and they never last.

Last edited:

coposrv

Established Member
Awhile back I found a sale on craftsman's website. It was something like 300+ sockets. Basically all the sockets they make for 300$. I use those along with a mix of craftsman snap on and some Mac ratchets. wrenches are gear wrench/ craftsman and sk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I have a assortment of Snap on, Mac, craftsman, and a few harbor freight things. I pretty much get harbor freight or craftsman now since I only work on my own junk.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
As a shade tree mechanic and perhaps even a bit more skilled. I'd like top of the line toys but the amount of use I get doesn't justify the price. Much of what I have are Craftsman tools that I started accumulating a few decades ago when things were still quality and MIA. When I need to replace something, I plan on doing my best to find something MIA (when available) and not a fortune. I'd love to get a new impact wrench but the craftsman I have is unstoppable. The charger crapped the bed but the wrench is great. Even the microtork wrench works great although the "click" is extremely silent.

coposrv

Established Member
^ I don't want to like this post I want to love it. Should be a love button.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
We used harbor freight 1/2 drive impact sockets at my previous job. Beat the crap out of them with air tools. We also used Pittsburgh wrenches. Both worked flawless.

I like craftsman sockets for home use and harbor freight 72th(or whatever it is) ratchets. Once you use a fine tooth racket, you wont want to go back.

My 3/8 cordless impact is snap on but i got it used in mint condition at less than half price. I love it.

If you use a tool for the specific purpose, they usually last.

Buy good sets of pliers, channel locks and vise grips though. Get some with a lifetime warranty. Craftsman/northern tools works fine.

For a jack, aluminum one from Harbor Freight for around $75.

My craftsmen jackstands have been under my truck for over a year off and on. They work fine.

Ive never heard of SK hand tools. Looks like good stuff.

Last edited:

mikes35

Established Member
I find that the older I get the less I care about the expensive "supposed" high quality tools and the more I care about saving money so it leaves me with more funds for more toys. Certain things I wouldn't skimp on like spring compressors, but even cheap hand tools last if you use and store them properly. It's when you use the wrong tool for the job is when you will usually break it.

Users who are viewing this thread