Top 10 ways to loose weight?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Dry cell battery, rear seat delete..Sparco front seats (they weigh 15-17lbs each).. Ditch the IRS in favor of solid axle, tubular front K-member (griggs/mm) pull out the spare. I am sure there is alot more, lite weight wheels etc...

memphisstang

Established Member
Thanks for the help. And by the way, the wife is already lean and mean! Has anyone here gone all out with the weight thing? There are alot of good possibilities on that Corral thread, but because of the date(early 2002) I wonder how many of the numbers are still accurate for the 03-04 Cobras?

Aaron_01

Banned
Carbon fiber hood, remove all carpeting, remove speakers, head unit, headliner, center console, dash trim, rear sound board, get a carbon fiber front clip made up, drag skinnies up front. Probobly more, I just cant think of anything. If you wanted to go all out drag car you could do alot more. But I'm sure that's not your intention.

hj16

Established Member
Solid Axle Swap - 120lbs
Lightweight Rims - 60lbs
Rear Seat Delete - 30lbs
Tubular K-member - 30lbs
Carbon Fiber Hood - 15lbs
Spare and Jack - 30lbs
Lightweight Front seats - 30lbs
Aluminum Block - 90lbs
o/r Midpipe - 10lbs

3665lbs - 415lbs = 3250lbs :)

But chances are 99.999% of people wont get an aluminum block for weight savings.

memphisstang

Established Member
Hey guys, thanks for the response. After buying the car I will be on a bit of a budget so I was thinking of an A/C delete kit, rear seat delete, battery relocation or dynabat. A K-member will have to be later on, and the aluminum block probably only if there was ever an engine failure, same thing with the IRS. The carbon fiber hood is intriguing. I know Saleen has offered one for a while; is theirs the best(lightest)? Who else makes one? Anybody have a strong opinion on K-members/coilovers(stock driveability, rattles or other noises)?
Thanks again for the help!

memphisstang

Established Member
The Corral thread has some good info on it, but with the date being early 2002, would most of those weight figures still be accurate for the 03-04 Cobras?

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
I still remember what my dumb brother-in-law told me when I first got the car... "start drilling some holes in the structural support to loose some weight". Hahaha... that was stupid of him.

stangfreak

Established Member
weight block. when i had my bushings replaced with the kb ones, they removed this big black weight. what was that for? i weighted the freakin thing and it weighs 10-11 lbs lol

svtxchinoy

Established Member
The hood on the S281 S/C is WAY lighter than ours. I couldn't believe how light the hood was. But, I'd rather go with a carbon fiber version of our hood and do what JKD did.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Originally posted by StlBlack03
#1 way to lose weight =

ADD MORE BOOST :beer:
Yep.....that's the nice thing about these cars, it's so easy to add horsepower, why worry about butchering a beautiful car for a couple of pounds.......

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
well, in the name of speed i have completely gutted my trunk, down to the metal, removed the front bumper and foam (which weighs in as around 60lbs all together, and is right at the very front of the car. (the bumper cover remains)) and my battery is mounted out back. all total, i probably pulled 150lbs out of the car, mostly off the front of the car. and unless i pop the trunk, it looks completely stock.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Originally posted by 03InThe11s
well, in the name of speed i have completely gutted my trunk, down to the metal, removed the front bumper and foam (which weighs in as around 60lbs all together, and is right at the very front of the car. (the bumper cover remains)) and my battery is mounted out back. all total, i probably pulled 150lbs out of the car, mostly off the front of the car. and unless i pop the trunk, it looks completely stock.
I would not recommend removing the front bumper. But to each his own. Besides safety, if you get in a frontal accident your insurance may not cover you because you removed the main front crash barrier (bumper).

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
the front bumper does very very little in a serous collision. it is mainly there for the manditory 5mph crash protection. speeds above 30mph or so it is vurtualy useless. and as for the insurance paying for it, why wouldnt they? no where in my policy does it say they wont pay for my car in a crash if i remove the interior bumper. also the impact bumpers (which would recieve the majority of the impact in a crash) remain.

(btw, i say this having seen countless wrecks with mustangs and similar vehicles, both minor and very very serous.)

Users who are viewing this thread