Top end

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
What is the top end of a 03 GT with 3.73 gears as the only mod? My buddy has just changed the gears in his 03 and was wondering if he hurt his top end or improved it. Has anybody ran a GT with these gears that fast? I was thinking that the 3.73 would help him out because he would be able to whined 5th higher and get more power. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
Technically he has lowered his top speed but since his top speed is already goverened to a lower speed then he has lowered it to it dosent actually matter. And yes he has helped his top end in some ways and hurt it in others. Example. All his gears now pull harder but they pull harder to a lower top speed in that gear. For instance taking 4th gear to redline with the stock gears wound get you to aprox. 140. Now it will only go aprox. to 125 - 130ish. Now to get you all the way to 140 you will have to rely on 5th gear which wont pull as hard as the stock 4th gear even with 3.73's

Hope thats not to confusing :read:

Last edited:

89stang306

Established Member
Cobras_rule is exactly right but I will try to help explain a little bit more in laymans terms what he meant in case you don't understand. A car has a "theoreticle" (sp) top speed with a 3.27 gear, now if you put that car on a flat open highway with no traffic and wind, wind it out, it will never reach that speed becuase of drag from the wind. By changing to a 3.73 gear however, same conditions, even though the mathematical top speed in lower, the car will most likely prove to reach a higher top speed in 5th then before becuase with the new gear set, the car can now more effectively use its power and can overcome the drag easier to an extent. Did your friend lower his top speed, yes, in a perfect world. In the imperfect world we live in though, he has actually improved on it.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Originally posted by 89stang306
Cobras_rule is exactly right but I will try to help explain a little bit more in laymans terms what he meant in case you don't understand. A car has a "theoreticle" (sp) top speed with a 3.27 gear, now if you put that car on a flat open highway with no traffic and wind, wind it out, it will never reach that speed becuase of drag from the wind. By changing to a 3.73 gear however, same conditions, even though the mathematical top speed in lower, the car will most likely prove to reach a higher top speed in 5th then before becuase with the new gear set, the car can now more effectively use its power and can overcome the drag easier to an extent. Did your friend lower his top speed, yes, in a perfect world. In the imperfect world we live in though, he has actually improved on it.

Okay, so what your saying is that if the engine had enough power to whined 5th all the way to the top when stock (which it doesn't) he would have hurt his top end. But since the engine is not capable of this the 3.73's are allowing 5th to make more power, with a higher RPM, thus getting a better top end. Am I on the right track? So bottom line, with the 3.73's whats the top end compared to stock? I really appreciate all the help guys! He's got me wondering all this now too!! :burnout:

Last edited:

WiCkEd_OnE

Established Member
I have a 03 with 3.73s. The stock 3.27s would only take my car to 139 that was holding it down for 2.6 miles and the car stood at 139. Now with the 3.73s I had my car around 150-152 running next with my cuzzin who has a 01 cobra. My speedo was not recalculated so it was burried around 135 lol. So the gears really helped my top end instead of not helpin.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Hey Thanks man!! I think that is what I was trying to figure out. How did you know how fast you where actually going though if you didn't have your speedo recalculated? :shrug: I was honestly expecting to hear that he hurt his top end, but it makes since because the engine is making enough power now with the higher RPM to pull 5th to a higher top end. I guess it makes since, but it doesn't always work this way.;-) 139 vs 152, thats a hell of an improvement!! Thanks again and Merry Christmas:burnout:

WiCkEd_OnE

Established Member
To XCELR8-

I might of made it hard to understand lol but my cuzzin was next to me with his 01 Cobra. That was the fastest he had his 01 up to 152 was showin on his speedo. And I should have mention that I had my exuast on to so that helped a lil bit. Man that sure was fun that day goin 152 right next to eachother 'bout a 2 foot between us. Anyways Merry Christmas everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread