Top Gear Ep 5, Best one yet

Badass_Forever

Established Member
Back in 2002 when we were planning New TopGear, we used to reflect on the newly minted idea of a star in a Reasonably Priced Car and cackle quietly to ourselves.

‘Tom Cruise!’ we would smirk. ‘Tom Cruise in a crappy Korean hatchback!’

That was the gag: massive A-list celebrities finding themselves shoehorned into the kind of car they’d normally never be seen dead in. The whole thing was deliberately preposterous.

And so, frankly, was our dream of getting the world’s biggest movie actor into an affordable mid-range car.

Except that this week, after just 15 series, somehow it has come to pass. This week’s star in the Reasonably Priced Car genuinely is Tom Cruise.

As if that wasn’t ludicrous enough, he’s brought a colleague with him. Her name is Cameron Diaz.

It’s fair to say, we’ve have never, ever had two bigger guests and for the past week the air in the office has been alive with a sort of sweaty-palmed excitement.

The rest of Sunday’s programme isn’t exactly shabby, either. Richard is in one of those exciting extreme sports races we haven’t done for a while. James has a world exclusive crack at maxing the brand new, 1,200bhp Bugatti Veyron Supersports. Jeremy reflects on the life of Ayrton Senna in a beautiful and moving piece of film making that should momentarily appease those who think TG isn’t serious enough these days.

Yet strangely, all these genuinely excellent items are slightly dwarfed by the appearance of two Hollywood A-listers in our funny little Kia.

Eight years after we first giggled at the idea of a star in a Reasonably Priced Car, this feels like we’ve finally achieved a small but important ambition.

I just downloaded it and watched it, i really have to say its the best one i've very seen. They did a great job. :beer:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyajrqUjG7M"]YouTube- Top Gear - Bugatti Veyron Super Sport 431km/h 267mph[/nomedia]

Last edited:

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
i wouldn't say it's the best one. but it's the best reasonably price car segment they've ever had, imo. two top laps in one episode is pretty sweet. and that two wheel finish by cruise was pretty bad ass.

i'd say the best episode was their trip to africa a few season ago. "oliver!" lol.

edit:

i forgot about the veyron ss topping the lap board. yeah, i guess that would put it in the top five right there.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
best Top Gear segment is still the S13 season finale with the V12 Vantage.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgZlpRdQlRI"]YouTube- Top Gear Season 13 Ending - Aston Martin V12 Vantage HD[/nomedia]

and i hate exotics but goddamn, this segment was almost enough to make me plunk down $2k to rent one and drive up and down Hwy1 in CA, just for a day.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I don't pirate music, movies or any other such media/software file
:lol: bahaha. Top Gear is delayed like 3 full seasons here and I'm not waiting a year and a half to see the episode that aired on the other side of the pond just a few hours ago.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
I don't pirate music, movies or any other such media/software file
:lol: bahaha. Top Gear is delayed like 3 full seasons here and I'm not waiting a year and a half to see the episode that aired on the other side of the pond just a few hours ago.

i remember clarkson saying that top gear was the most pirated show in the world in one his opening monologues. lol.

Badass_Forever

Established Member
I would love to watch it on sunday's, I have to best TV package my provider has to offer and it still isn't on... stupid canadian tv. I download it and use my USB in my dvd player, best investment thus far.

Its like football season for me and my friends, 5 of us get together on monday and watch top gear, we all agreed it was the best one as a whole show. season 14's closer was the best segment i've seen tho.

PC Doc

Established Member
I downloaded it last night but haven't watched it yet. Previously my favorite episodes were the South America Special and the one where they all had to ride motorcycles... in Vietnam maybe? Clarkson on a motorcycle was hilarious.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have seen every episode of top gear and this one was my favorite. It wouldn't have been until the last segment about Ayrton Senna.A few friends of mine didn't realize how insane those late 80's early 90's F1 cars where and They ran them with sticks to boot. That was probably one of the best pieces of television for a car guy to date.

who cares about tom and Cameron after watching that!

SVT4ME

Established Member
They say his underwear is made from carbonfiber and that he's over 6' tall. All we know is he's called the STIG! Awesome

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
Am I the only one that thought it would have been a better show without Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. After watching the part with those two idiots I wish I had fast forwarded to the good part.

It was a good episode from a car point of view, but I mostly watch that show for the comedy. I have to say that it not high on the list of great Top Gear episodes. The F1 clips were great though.

Users who are viewing this thread