• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

top speed so far

Discussion in '2012-2013 Boss 302 Mustang' started by Twisted99, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Twisted99

Twisted99 New Member Established Member

160 mph at 5000 rpm. Johnson Motorsport tune. Removed MPH limiter and raised the rev limiter to 8000. Hill assist still works,about 3 seconds each try.

2. el jefe 302

el jefe 302 Making all kinds of gainz Established Member

Stock drive shaft?

I wouldn't push it anymore then that with the 2pc.

3. Nocturnal'14

Nocturnal'14 '18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103 Established Member

WOW, your lucky you didnt have to to it home! Stock drive shaft has reported exploding at 145mph.....and v6 shafts at 120ish.

I had my GT up to 135 last Aug at NCCAR.

4. el jefe 302

el jefe 302 Making all kinds of gainz Established Member

With that being said i have had my boss on the speed limiter stock. After the mods i haven't pushed it past 140 or so.. i would hate to be a catapult on the highway with the stocker.

I've heard of the sixxers tossing driveshafts. But I've never seen pics or vids of eights breaking them.

But in the long run a 1pc is cheap insurance compared to the damage that might result.

:beer:

5. thebull

thebull 150 or Bust Established Member

161.7 at Daytona in 5th gear. Lund tune Stock driveshaft.....Tons of laps over 150 on the front and back straights

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  6. Howster01

Howster01 New Member

Boss 302 top speed?

Hi to all. I was trying to get some info from other Boss owners as to the top speed of their rides and I came across this post. Seems there are different numbers for different cars.

I don't race my Boss, however I do go out and play. The fastest I got before my upgrades was 147, however the car was very much still pulling but I realized it was time to exit the freeway as I was going to work.

Today I took her out and got to 170 before I decided I should stop before I crap all over myself. It may not be the fastest it will go, but it is plenty fast jus the same. I only have one more mod to do and that will pretty much be it as I have achieved my goal.

This weekend is the Texas Mile and hope to get some good numbers. In March a 2011 Mustang GT did 180, however it was not stock. It had a Boss 302 motor, CAI, tune, headers and X-pipe.

I have all of that except the headers, however I have much more as well. I junt wanted to add my 2 cents in and even though my latest run was not with a stock Boss, even 150 is bloody fast. Glad I don't do that on a daily basis.

Be safe everyone.

7. Howster01

Howster01 New Member

BTW. I did install an aluminum one-piece driveshaft. No way I would ever attempt those speeds with the stock two piece. My 147 mph run was, but not taking any chances. Good luck to everyone and be safe out there.

8. darreng505

darreng505 New Member Established Member

Well, I hope you guys aren't using stock wheels with the street valve stems. Those suckers will blow off at 150.....you need metal bolt ons.

9. Dizzyscure1

Dizzyscure1 New Member Established Member

I've been cruising for 120 mile trips at anywhere from 85-150+Mph normally around 120ish for the whole trip cruise control. I have a stock drive shaft and and MPSS tires with stock stems. Sooo should I be looking into some different stems???

10. svt1111

svt1111 New Member Established Member

Your valve stems are fine. You should be looking into a good laser radar jammer!:D

11. BADBOSS

BADBOSS Member Established Member

150 with DSS shaft and Nitto Invo's, AED tune :)

12. racerat

racerat 200+mph Boss-O-Matic! Established Member

+1
    Ran the stock rims to 202mph.

13. svt1111

svt1111 New Member Established Member

Now that's fast!

Who wants to post their top speed now, huh?! LOL!

14. lpheaven

lpheaven Member Established Member

Can someone post these reports of the Boss drive shafts exploding ?

My Boss gets to 150 so easy and this is the 1st i've heard of the 2012/2013 Boss302's drive shaft exploding.

Thanks

15. ace72ace

ace72ace Egi Actum Established Member

Only report I saw was a post on BMO. Every other report I saw was V6. I'm glad I have the DSS shaft, don't mind the minor squeaks in the drive train as it gets rid of the occasional clunk. Wish I had a baseline Dyno to see how many hp is gained, even if only ~5 or so, every little bit helps.

16. darreng505

Yes you should.

17. darreng505

Ask any performance shop if you should run stock rubber valve stems at high speed.
    And just because some redneck actually did it and nothing happened doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. :shrug:

18. 86Fbody

86Fbody Active Member Established Member

That's not entirely nice.

I think some people are a little confused with the stock DS only being good to 145, because Ford has the speed limited to 155, so that wouldn't make much sense.

19. ford20

ford20 Member Established Member

140 MPH stock driveshaft, stock valve stems, stock Ford tune, no red key nonsense following an R8 .... Then I realized how fast I was going and decided I should bring it back down to the speed limit

20. mcmmotorsports

mcmmotorsports New Member Established Member

I used to work for a race tire distributor and there are a lot of race cars running rubber valve stems.