top starter bolt

blown up 98

Established Member
what is the easiest way to get the top starter bolt out? i have long tubes and cant see/feel it i put the headers on but it was like 5 years ago (i forgot)

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
start at the front of the motor, over the K-member, with 5000000 extentions, easiest way for me. and its not a 13mm, it's a 1/2 inch. few guys here at work screw 'em up using a 13mm and impact taking them on and off.

JP96cobra

Established Member
Yea its a pain getting that bolt. I left it out when i put my motor together so i dont have to deal with it ever again.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I still haven't ever understood why you guys say its so much of a pain to get the starter bolt out. Sure, its not the easiest thing in the world but it has never taken me more than 5 minutes to do.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
sigh, everyone always bitches about this. Once you know how, its a very short and easy process.

use a 13mm socket, 3" extension, swivel, 18" extension, ratchet.

Go in from the passenger front wheel well above the motor mount, under the headers. You may have to play with whether you want it over or under the sway bar, I don't remember now which way worked best for me.

Once you're through, guide the socket onto the bolt, and crack it loose.

piece of cake.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
use a 13mm socket, 3" extension, swivel, 18" extension, ratchet.

Go in from the passenger front wheel well above the motor mount, under the headers. You may have to play with whether you want it over or under the sway bar, i don't remember now which way worked best for me.

Once you're through, guide the socket onto the bolt, and crack it loose.

Piece of cake.

+1

tjs98gt

Established Member
yeah the first time sucks but ive had the motor and trans apart enough times its easy now so i have all mine installed

epracmetcon

Established Member
and its not a 13mm, it's a 1/2 inch. few guys here at work screw 'em up using a 13mm and impact taking them on and off.

FYI: 13mm and 1/2inch is the same size. And yes, going through the front is the easiest. For next time, just do not put it back in. I have 20k miles on my car with no top bolt and have had no problems at all.

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
mine just went out, picked one up for $110 + core charge at local parts store.

Took me about 2 hours taking my time and figuring it out as i had never even done a started before. If i had to do it again, prolly do it in a hour or less.

Easiest way i saw:
*disconnect the battery.
(1) drop the xpipe/hpipe/cats gives you a lot room to work with, only takes 10 minutes with an impact gun.
(2) Dropped the front passenger tire to give me a little more breathing room
(2) Undo the first, bottom bolt/stud from under the car and pop off all of the electrical connections
(3) the bolt just above that I used a 18" extension with a swivel socket on the end and went through the suspension, almost a straight shot.
(4) for the top bolt get the 18" inch extension to 2 swivel sockets and tape the swivels so they dont flop around. Insert it through the suspension just above the sway bar and fish it by the exhaust manifolds.
(5) to get the top bolt back in, just tape the bolt into the swivel and then slide it right back into the hole. I put on the two bottom bolts first so it was held in place and then i was able to get the top bolt in 95% by hand and then finished it off with the ratchet. Seriously took me maybe 5 minutes to get it off cus i was playin around with the swivel configuration and got it back in on the first attempt.

*you may be able to leave the midpipe on the car, but it looked like a cluster f to me so i just dropped it*

I used an air ratchet to speed it up, but it can easily be done with hand tools, except maybe the mid pipe as those nuts on there can be a bit of a bitch without an impact gun.

Helomech74

Established Member
I just use a wrench or a small ratchet and socket. I go through the wheel well, look right at the starter and remove the bolt. Ahhhh, the beauty of a tubular K-member. :)

Users who are viewing this thread