Torque box reinforcement and welding,,,pics.

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
Installed the upper and lower battle boxes and welded up the torque boxes.

Battle box kits.
IMG_0545.jpg

I hated drilling holes in my cobra.:shrug:
IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

Lowers were very easy to install,,,,but more drilling.
IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

Then I removed them so I could weld up the boxes.

First I sanded the paint from all the seams that I wanted to weld.
IMG_0564.jpg

Then start welding,,,this wasn't easy. Pretty limited space and the hot sparks didn't feel good.
IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Then I painted everything with POR-15 rust preventative paint and put the battle boxes back on.
IMG_0592.jpg

New exhaust hangers and pinion snubber for the solid.
IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
You run one helluva nice bead! There's not a lot of guys who can weld that well...especially in such tight quarters and practically standing on your head! LOL

One thing I might suggest...toss that crappy hardware you're using and get some grade 8 bolts. I firmly believe in grade 8 hardware for suspension fasteners.

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
You run one helluva nice bead! There's not a lot of guys who can weld that well...especially in such tight quarters and practically standing on your head! LOL

One thing I might suggest...toss that crappy hardware you're using and get some grade 8 bolts. I firmly believe in grade 8 hardware for suspension fasteners.

Thanks,

Those are the bolts that came with the torque box kits. The rear is in the car now so maybe I'll change them next year.

AzSonicSnake

Slowpiece
Established Member
nice work man. had these installed on my car recently(i hate welding), and i must says its one fo the best mods i have done. if you have a solid axle in your snake i would say this mod is a MUST.

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
AzSonicSnake said:
nice work man. had these installed on my car recently(i hate welding), and i must says its one fo the best mods i have done. if you have a solid axle in your snake i would say this mod is a MUST.

Plus there's no better time to do it then when the IRS is out for the swap.:rolling:

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
This is only really needed for SRA and not so much for IRS?

I did these mods on my fox body but wasn't considering them on my IRS Terminator.

Very clean work by the way!i wish I could weld like that.

SV

ctgreddy

Established Member
Very nice! I bought some lower reinfocements but didn't put them in because they required cutting open the hole to get the brackets in. do these ones require that? it doesn't look like it and if not I'm gonna pick up this set so I dont have to cut up my car.

mustang john

Established Member
Very nice! I bought some lower reinfocements but didn't put them in because they required cutting open the hole to get the brackets in. do these ones require that? it doesn't look like it and if not I'm gonna pick up this set so I dont have to cut up my car.

I used the UPR kit and didn't have to cut open anything, my kit looks exactly the same as the OPs kit pictured.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I used the UPR kit and didn't have to cut open anything, my kit looks exactly the same as the OPs kit pictured.

That's the kit I have, it says in the directions the 94+ cars need to be cut and I couldn't slip it in. Maybe I'll have to try it again before I purchase any others.

mustang john

Established Member
That's the kit I have, it says in the directions the 94+ cars need to be cut and I couldn't slip it in. Maybe I'll have to try it again before I purchase any others.

I remember it being kind of a puzzle piece to fit in there but I didn't have to cut open anything and as I said the UPR kit looks exactly like the OPs kit.

mustang john

Established Member
Holy crap I didn't even catch that!! I was wondering how the hell that under carriage was so damn clean... It was only two or three years old! LOL :bash:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread