Torque spec upper intake ?

E2Dac

Mystic
Established Member
So I went to put the upper intake cover on my 96 cobra the book I have says 90-lb so I set the wrench to 90lb and the bolt broke before the wrench clicked what am I doin wrong here

testorossa1989

Established Member
Was the bolt used? Through heating/cooling of the motor bolts over time bolts will get weaker.

Should always replace old studs and bolts for new ones if you havent already

E2Dac

Mystic
Established Member
No there new it's just the plate that the throttlebody connected to

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I hope too didnt crank to 90ft lbs.. Considering your wheels torque to 100ft lbs

E2Dac

Mystic
Established Member
Can I go to a local hardware store to buy a new bolt or do I have to order new ones from somewhere else?

E2Dac

Mystic
Established Member
My wrench only shows foot pounds so what should I set it to so it's 90 inch pounds ..or do I have to buy a differ wrench ?

itSSlow98

Established Member
Buy the same sized bolt from a hardware store just get stainless. Snug it up with a regular ratchet and call it good. Those bolts dont need to be torqued perfectly.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
My wrench only shows foot pounds so what should I set it to so it's 90 inch pounds ..or do I have to buy a differ wrench ?

heh. convert in lbs to ft lbs? not rocket surgery...

how many inches in a foot? 12. multiply 90ft lbs by 12, 1080in lbs. divide in lbs by 12 to get ft lbs. youll need a torque wrench thatll be accurate in tehe 6-10 ft lb range. the one you own now wont work.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
OP, don't feel bad, whether anyone will admit it or not they've probably done this too. I did it to a cam tower bolt once and snapped it off in the head. most ft lb tq wrenches will not read below 20 ft lb, so you'll need to buy another more accurate wrench if you are going to continue actually following tq specs (I'm being sarcastic- of course you should)

97BlownCobra

Established Member
7 to 9 ft-lbs or 1/8 to 1/4 turn past snug and come back after 24-48 hours and check them. 9 ft-lbs isn't a lot of torque, so sometimes you have to go by feet.

Users who are viewing this thread