tough to start after filing up with gas

dibbz68

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT500 with long tubes, KB boost a pump, 2.9 whipple etc...
when I fill up the car at the gas station its VERY hard to start, a good minute or two of turning over before it fires, after it fires it runs perfectly.
I tried filling the car while its running, however when i put the nozzle in the tank it bleeds off the pressure in the tank and the car dies.

Nobody seems to know what might be the cause, hopefully someone here has experienced this before.

Thanks,
Dale

2010 Red&white

Established Member
I had a like problem after re-fueling with the engine being hard to start and even stalling after re-starting. I talked to my tuner and it all went away with an ajustment to the tune. ???

NuclearPower

Established Member
Different car, but my BMW did what you are talking about. Since the tank is a saddle bag design it has a pick up tube that links them together and a bleed off line that connects them also. If they get bound for some reason it could result in the car not wanting to start until gas fills the voids. First question would be do you overfill the tank? Don't fill it till you are done. You are only suppossed to fill it until the handle clicks. I usually go one more then stop. If you continue not only will gas spill out just inside the drivers rear tire, but you could be filling the vent tube...

Take it back to the dealer and tell them. They should be able to run a pressure test on the fuel system and determine the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread