Towing question

mgmustang1

Established Member
im looking into buying a lightning pref 93-95. how would it do pulling a carmate 8X20 enclosed car trailer with a car in it? the truck im looking at has 98k on it. how does the stock suspension hold up?

93LITE

Established Member
I guess I'll tell you about my experiences using my 93 Lightning. I have a 16ft. open center trailer that I towed with the Lightning, to me that was the limit. I think with the Mustang on it I was at the 5000lb. limit. The truck did fine and was stable with a weight distribution hitch, you have to run with the overdrive off most of the time. I would get about 10 to 12 mpg towing. I moved up to and 01 Lightning, I put airbags on it and it has more power, you can use the over drive on the open road, still very stable, but you are still limited to the 5000lb towing limit. I don't think the truck would pull and enclose trailer loaded, just my opinion. Thats why I am looking to move up to and enclosed trailer and Superduty, just incase I come to a big hill and want to go over 35. Good Luck

mgmustang1

Established Member
thanks for the input. i was thinking f250 also but i liked the lightning. the price of a 99 and up lightning i might as well just get a f250 instead.

plum360415

Established Member
If you are lookin at the L for just a tow pig.... I would say no. I have done some towing in my L, I towed a 18' dove tail with my Duster on it... it did OK, not great OK. Before my L I had a 91 F-150 4X4, it towed way better....yea, I know bigger truck... Thats why I'm sayin no on the L-tow unit. Dont get me wrong..... If your towing 1 or 2 times a month, 200-400 miles round trip.....Yea it will be fine...But if your going racing, and on the road for a long time.... get a F-250 or bigger.... The L's can tow... but for the longer hauls, the bigger trucks are a lot nicer to drive while towing. This is the reason I now have a Tremic TKO-600 5-sp. I was towing a rolled 95 L, it was in july, 90 Plus outside, towing in O/D @ 75 MPH....I know thats my bad, and it puked the ATF on the interstate..... After that mess, I took the hitch off my L,and swapped to a 5-sp...
Kerry

Last edited:

Litemup86

Established Member
I towed my '86 coupe on a 20' open trailer to Ocala and back with my '94 L and didn't have any problems. It's about 90 miles each way and up and down some actual hills on the Florida Turnpike. I stayed in overdrive because it felt fine and didn't show any signs of having issues. My sig should show the setup and the truck drove like a dream. Like everyone else said, I wouldn't purchase it specifically for towing long hauls, but I did 75 the whole way and hardly noticed the trailer there. A lot depends on the weight of your total setup with the enclosed trailer.

mgmustang1

Established Member
i picked up a 95 lightning. im not towing more than 50 miles. the 3 cobratrailer weights 3200 lbs and the 03 cobra 3650.

Users who are viewing this thread