Towing with a 99-04 Cobra - who here's done it?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Well I posted a thread in Roadside (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1015117-Trailer-hitch-for-99-04-Cobra-options) about this and realized that it would make sense to post this in a racing forum since those are people who have a trailer hitch to tow a small trailer with another set of wheels/tires and maybe some tools and gear. I'd like to get just a class 1 for my '99 (with an 03/04 rear bumper, in case that matters for clearance reasons) but can't find one that is made for the Cobra. Oddly enough I have found V6 vs. GT hitches, and I'm wondering if any of these would in fact work on the Cobra, its just a matter of a application catalog not being updated since hardly anyone tows with their Mustang, let alone their Cobra.

Sirl

Established Member
Many!!
Here is my old setup...

IMG_0970.jpg

and just did a new one for my new 07, but a smaller, 40x48 from HF. 48 x 48 is a better size. My wheels hang off the sides about 3-4 inches on both sides.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Many!!
Here is my old setup...

IMG_0970.jpg

and just did a new one for my new 07, but a smaller, 40x48 from HF. 48 x 48 is a better size. My wheels hang off the sides about 3-4 inches on both sides.

What hitch did you use, and did you have to lower it to clear the valance on your car? Also, do you have any info on that hitch that is curved up around your valance? That looks like it would work PERFECT for having a low(er) hitch that has to clear the 03/04 Cobra rear bumper.

Sirl

Established Member
No alterations what so ever,
Uhaul will install it for you, or, just to to Etrailer. com and order one for your car.

edz

Retired.
Established Member
Here is a shot of the hitch on my old 03. Bought a hitch for an 03 GT and had a welding shop weld a 2X2 spacer between the actual receiver and the cross beam to lower it. Worked fine with the same type of trailer that Sirl used. If you do this make sure you get a good trailer, and carry an extra hub for it. etrailer hitch.
DSCN0231-S.jpg

Last edited:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
No alterations what so ever,
Uhaul will install it for you, or, just to to Etrailer. com and order one for your car.

I tried calling my local Uhaul and getting it, since they had the lowest price of $119 - well, they have to order it and it would be over $250 for the part installed from them, so I ordered it via Amazon with my friends Prime account for 2-day so I should have it on Tuesday. I'm hoping for no alterations, but based on what I read, it will involve some type of modification :(

Here is a shot of the hitch on my old 03. Bought a hitch for an 03 GT and had a welding shop weld a 2X2 spacer between the actual receiver and the cross beam to lower it. Worked fine with the same type of trailer that Sirl used. If you do this make sure you get a good trailer, and carry an extra hub for it. etrailer hitch.
DSCN0231-S.jpg

This is what I was thinking would have to happen, and might be the easiest instead of trying to squeeze bigger and longer bolts, along with some type of spacers, in order to drop the whole assembly. I was thinking of getting it all prepped to install and mock it up and see how much space I need and then find a welding shop to weld in whatever spacer I need.

Holy shit I just noticed you are in Southern Pines - I live in Raeford right on the border of Fayetteville! Where did you go to have them weld on what I can only assume was some square stock for your spacer?

edz

Retired.
Established Member
That mod was done in 2003 in South Florida, car has been gone a long time. If you want to drive down to SP we can throw it on my lift and do the mock up.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
That sounds good I might just take you up on it - do you have a shop to do the work at? Related question, do you have a welder nearby or one that you know?

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread