toying with a LS1 camaro

1loudGT

Established Member
Today i was driving around. I was bored and saw a LS1 z28 pewter in color. This car looked sharp. He went off to the turn lane when i got next to him i gave it a little gas and chirped the tires a little. I was proceeding to my destination. so then like 15 mins later i turned down another street and i notice a car coming up pretty quick. Sure enough its the guy in the Z28. I was thinkin Uh oh. since me a LS1s dont mix to well. so I was egging him on a little bit just for the hell of it. My left turn was coming up soon and he was in the right lane and hanging back a little bit. as soon as i got in the left turn lane he cut across traffic and got behind me. so we go at a 50 MPH roll and i throw it into third. I held with him for a second then he passed me and got me by like 3. Then we caught a light. I heated the nittos up a little launched at 3k rpms and stuck hard. I had him through 3rd and had to shut down because of traffic. If we raced much further he would have caught me.

boosted99si

Established Member
yeah i think he means LT1 or we would like a list of mods cause a stock GT running with an ls1 doesnt happen everyday

BPLS1

Established Member
stage3kiddo said:
yeah i think he means LT1 or we would like a list of mods cause a stock GT running with an ls1 doesnt happen everyday

Yeah lets hear your mods You better have some engine work done if u did in fact "toy" with a LS1 or i call :bs:

Fordguy0915

Established Member
He's running Nittos...Thats why the camaro had to play catch-up...AND pass. :D
He knows what an LS1 looks like, so I am not doubting that...And he knows he would have been beat if the race went on much longer, so chill. :coolman:

John

97LT1Ws6

Elty Juan
Established Member
Even if it was an lt1 unless ur packin some type of F/I i dont think it even possible for you to be able to even beat him. i got a 97 lt1 6 speed and i have in fact raced a 97 red gt that had headers, intake, nittos. from a stop light to about 70mph i cannot count how many car lengths i had him by. from the launch he was even with me due to his nitto's but after 25-30mph i just flew by him. i gotta say this but, i hate it when someone says u gotta mean LT1 cuz those are the slow ones. do you people really think(even though i got the fastest lt1 made) that an lt1 is such a slow and terrible motor? i mean the early 4th gens ran 0-60 5.6 1/4 14.1 and my ws6 is a good 5.3 and 13.8 car back in 1997.

ps. does anyone know what a 3000gt vr-4 runs to 60 or 1/4? i got into a stoplight race with one in the exact same place that the mustang race was and in the 45 mph zone we ran them up to about 100mph and it was really really close. id say about 1/2 car i squeezed by.

fre

Established Member
97LT1Ws6 said:
Even if it was an lt1 unless ur packin some type of F/I i dont think it even possible for you to be able to even beat him. i got a 97 lt1 6 speed and i have in fact raced a 97 red gt that had headers, intake, nittos. from a stop light to about 70mph i cannot count how many car lengths i had him by. from the launch he was even with me due to his nitto's but after 25-30mph i just flew by him. i gotta say this but, i hate it when someone says u gotta mean LT1 cuz those are the slow ones. do you people really think(even though i got the fastest lt1 made) that an lt1 is such a slow and terrible motor? i mean the early 4th gens ran 0-60 5.6 1/4 14.1 and my ws6 is a good 5.3 and 13.8 car back in 1997.

ps. does anyone know what a 3000gt vr-4 runs to 60 or 1/4? i got into a stoplight race with one in the exact same place that the mustang race was and in the 45 mph zone we ran them up to about 100mph and it was really really close. id say about 1/2 car i squeezed by.

I believe stock they are high 13s if you can launch it well (awd). They mod well though. Transverse v6 twin turbo.

RealQuick

Established Member
I would like a mod lists as well. My LT1 spanked many a 96-98 cobra, nevermind a 96-98GT. Not doubting you could beat an LT1/LS1, but I'd like to know what you are packing besides 215-225hp :) :bash:

1loudGT

Established Member
my mods are minimal.

motor mods: steeda timing adjuster set at 5 degrees advance over stock

exhaust:
MAC offroad H pipe, flowmaster 2 chamber catback,

Rear end:
FMS 4.10 gears with rear end rebuilt and extra clutch pack added to the traction lok.

Suspension: HP motorsport Subframe connectors, HP motorsport mega bite JR. LCAs

Tires:
Nitto 555R extreme drag radials.

Launch RPM 3000 RPMs hooking. LS1 sitting there spinning. I got like a 4-5 car holeshot. Like i said in my previous post if the race was a full quarter mile i gaurentee that he would have murdered me as soon as I hit 4th.. Since the race only lasted till i was in third he couldnt make up the ground in time. I am pretty positive it was a LS1 considering it had the non recessed headlights, and had the 98 and up tail lights. Plus had a "LS1 inside" sticker on the back window.

I have lots of respect for those camaros whether its a LT1 or a LS1. My buddy had a 96 Z28 had a 3500 stall, shift kit, L/T headers, maganflow catback and a CAI with a chip and ran a 12.7 with ET streets.

Oh ya here is a vid of me racing another Z28 at a local 1/8 mile track even though this one in the vid is a LT1. That was before the 4.10s and stock goodyears, I had exhaust, offroad H pipe and thats it.

http://midweststangs.com/members/94-98/StangBanger97/video.jpg

Last edited:

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
On the street nittos will make the difference. I remember when i had most of the bolt ons(stock heads and cam) making about 250rwhp with nittos and ran a Z06 from a stop light. Murdered him out of the hole and held him off till 3rd where we let off. He probably had 100rwhp on me but it was fun, and he was surprised thats for sure. Nittos can make worlds of difference on the street.

MadHandle8169

Established Member
I've raced 3 LT-1s. I have lost by 1 car up to 100 to a 96 SS with at least exhaust. I have ran even with a 96 Z28 and I beat a 95 Trans Am. So stock they're similar to a 5.0 mustang in the way they are real good down low but lose steam up top. So if it was an LT-1 that was near stock he probably would not have been able to make up the distance even if the race went longer.

I have also raced 2 LS1s and lost to both. When I race my friends 2000 Firebird Formula I pull him out of the hole by 2 cars but by the time I hit mid 3rd he's flying by me. So with his nittos and gears this race is definately feasible.

1loudGT

Established Member
i mean its just 1 race. the guy in the LS1 could have missed a gear for all i know. we only raced from a stop once. Who knows if he did miss a gear and we raced again he probably could kick my ass sooner. All i know as soon as i hit 3rd he was coming hard, but it was too late because traffic was coming up fast. I drove 1 camaro 6 speed and hated it. gears were to close together and when i tried to hit 3rd i ended up in 5th gear. If the guy didnt know how to drive whos fault is that? if he doesnt know how to drive his car then he shouldnt be racing his car.

At our local 1/8 mile track i also raced a LS1 trans am....he had nittos and he beat me pretty good. I know if it wasnt for me hooking up so well with nittos it would have been an ugly race against that camaro.

Last edited:

1loudGT

Established Member
i dunno the name of the color... its not white. its like a greyish tanish color.. i know where the guy lives.. he lives right down the street from me. I could take a pic with my camera phone.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
1loudGT said:
i dunno the name of the color... its not white. its like a greyish tanish color.. i know where the guy lives.. he lives right down the street from me. I could take a pic with my camera phone.

I was just making a point that unless it had been painted Pewter there is no way it is a LT1 as someone stated. If it is Pewter it is a LS1. I know I had a Pewter 2001 Fireturd. I am in complete agreement with you. Good work off of the line by the way!

Users who are viewing this thread