Toyo R888R on 20s

Chuckieduck

Established Member
IMG_2339.JPG
IMG_2340.JPG
IMG_2341.JPG
IMG_2342.JPG
Just in case anyone is wondering about the new R888R by Toyo I accidentally got a set today. I ordered 2 new 285/35-20 R888 this morning from my local tire shop and the local distributer had them for cheaper than anywhere I could find online. When I got there the R888R was sitting there. They said the R888 was being discontinued and that's what was sent so I went ahead and went with it. My goal for only buying 2 was to test fit on my new 20" wheels. I have been running 19x9.5 TSW Nurburgring wheels but I wanted to install a 315 on the back so I decided on the Toyos since I could get the 315/285 combo and stay right at the same height tire as I had with 19s. I ordered new 20" Nurburgring wheels because I like that style. 2 of the wheels I am taking to get widened but I needed to make sure the offset was going to be good with the 20's which has a 40 offset just like my 19s so I figured the wheel would stick out a little more. Turns out the fit is perfect. I stuck them on the rear for now to check and will put them on the front after I get the wheels widened and the 315s mounted. I am having the wheels widened to 11.5". The only thing I do not like is that the Toyos do not have any type of rimgaurd built into the tire like my Falken tires do. I think that makes things look a little off but I'm sure it will grow on me.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Yes more pictures, please. And keep us updated on the status of the widening and your impressions of the tires.

I am curious about how a 10" wheel with 40mm offset can be widened to make the 315 work without rubbing because that is an offset that is pretty flush with the fender.

Chuckieduck

Established Member
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Picked up my wheels from Eric Vaughn yesterday. Living near by I got to go to his shop. Super cool guy! Nice as can be! His work is top notch. After going through all the posts especially the GT500 forum I was almost sold on widening my wheels to 11-3/4". Luckily I had bought the 285 front tires when I had the chance before I sent my rears off. These tires do not have a rim guard!!!! I took a straight edge and laid across the tire and measured to the lip of the wheel and had a 1/4" distance. Doesn't leave much for any wheel protection. I went on to Tire Rack and checked out the specs between the 285 and the 315 and the section width and the tread width are both right at 1-1/4" different between the two so I decided I wanted the profile of both tires to match so I went with widening the rears to 11-1/4" from 10" to match. Now that I have the tires mounted I'm glad I stuck with the 11-1/4". Using the straight edge on the rears I am exactly 1/4" from the wheel just like the front and there's no bulge.

So the one thing I know everyone wants to know.... Zero interference with the shock or bump stop bracket. I did have a rub though that when I pulled the wheel off was that the felt type inner liner in the fender was rubbing abainst the tire. It seemed to be bulging away from the car just enough where the tire was rubbing. Quick work with a razor knife. Now zero issues. I think the tire sits almost perfect to the fender and I have a good 1/2" or more between tire and bump stop and about 2/3" between tire and shock boot.

While I was waiting for my rears I put the 285s on the back and took it for a spin. Nothing crazy because these tires have to be heat cycled but I can tell you they grip! I got on it hard a couple times and even though I know it's still not enough tire for the rear I can tell how much grip they have. I suspect that the 315 on the rear will do the job nicely. I'm getting ready to install my torque arm and watts link so it's going to be a bit before I can test the tires out.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I love the R888Rs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Chuckieduck

Established Member
I know...... The glass over my camera is cracked. I'll try to get some better pics.

I did take her out to see how she rides with the new shoes and I was really impressed. I had a bad problem with the car tracking before so I was worried about the tracking getting worse with moving up in width on the front. No tracking at all! I couldn't believe it. I even tried to go back and forth between uneven lanes and nothing. Rode pretty smooth. I had read on some reviews that these tires were loud. I didn't hear any noise when I had the 285s on the rear. Now that I put the 285s on the front and the 315s on the rear there is some noise. Nothing irritating though. I did a quick run up to 140 and they were pretty smooth. I tried a couple corners not getting too crazy since the tires need to be heat cycled and they seem very grippy. Can't wait to get watts link and torque arm installed to see what she can really do.

Users who are viewing this thread