Toyota Camry Misfire

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Hello Guys,

My parents drive a Toyota Camry and it keeps coming up with a #4 misfire. I know it's not a cobra or a mustang, but I'm tired of seeing my parents burn money on parts that aren't fixing the problem! So far, the #4 injector, #4 coil pack, all spark plugs, and wires have been replaced with no end to the problem. It does burn oil on startup, so I was thinking valve seals, but not sure if it could cause a misfire. It came on after driving around 20-30 mins this morning. Car has 150k, and has never causeed problems. It has been a great car, model year is 2001, 4 cyl.

Thanks Guys,

Ford>Chevy

MTBSully

Established Member
Compression test. I had a car (4 cylinder) that kept coming up with a misfire code as well. Sure enough that cylinder had about 40PSI of compression, AKA was junk. Seeing what you have replaced thus far, that is my guess. Always start with the easy stuff!

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Haha, I wash hoping Chris would chime in lol. Thanks for your responses guys. Much appreciated....

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Lol who me?? Well you have already taken care of the obvious things. Another could be that the timing is off. Those cars will run even with a tooth off. Has it been changed? They are due I think at 60-90k I can't remember, it's been a long time since I've done one of those.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Lol who me?? Well you have already taken care of the obvious things. Another could be that the timing is off. Those cars will run even with a tooth off. Has it been changed? They are due I think at 60-90k I can't remember, it's been a long time since I've done one of those.

The timing belt was changed at around 120k. It has been a great car otherwise. I think the next logical step would be a compression test, and then work from there.

Users who are viewing this thread