Toyota dealership for the fail

50 Proof

Established Member

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
"It's not clear someone was told, because the car was sent out and the same problem occurred, killing a family of five."

50 Proof

Established Member
"It's not clear someone was told, because the car was sent out and the same problem occurred, killing a family of five."

yup, its confirmed, thats what it says.

op :poke:

way to take one sentence in that write-up and take it out of context. Try reading comprehension before opening your mouth...

the previous driver of the loaner Lexus ES350 at the center of the fiery floor mat death recall also complained about the same acceleration issue, telling a dealership employee "You need to tell somebody."

It's not clear someone was told, because the car was sent out and the same problem occurred, killing a family of five.

in other words, the previous driver reported it to an employee at the dealership. It is unclear if that employee told anyone else (i.e. service manager or a mechanic) about the issue or not.

:read:

Last edited:

nopropslaw

Established Member
That whole situation is strange. If you actually hear the 911 call, seems the driver had a lot of time to make a better decision. He could have thrown it in neutral, mashed the pedal (which will usually overpower the acceleration), or even turn the car off. Instead, he decided to call 911 and have at least 5-7 seconds on the phone with the operator. Something doesn't add up.

nopropslaw

Established Member
scratch that, like 40 seconds of the phone with the operator.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHGSWs4uJzY&feature=related"]YouTube- Family Killed in Santee Car Crash 911 Call[/ame]

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
So much for quick thinking under pressure, just turn the damn ignition switch off. I have a 65 Mustang that when the driver side motor mount breaks will accelerate by itself because it pulls the throttle open as the engine torques over. When it happened there was the brief "oh shit" moment. Then I just shut it off, seemed like the right thing to do.:shrug:

50 Proof

Established Member
the lexus had a push button starter, you can't just turn the ignition off by turning the key counter clockwise. He should have been able to hold the start button in for a few seconds to shut it off. Who knows why he didn't do that.

Avispa

Established Member
the lexus had a push button starter, you can't just turn the ignition off by turning the key counter clockwise. He should have been able to hold the start button in for a few seconds to shut it off. Who knows why he didn't do that.

Because turn the key to start and shut the motor off has been, with few exceptions, the only on-off control for car motors since about 1960 or so. When you're in a panic situation, a new gadget can get you killed. Doesn't excuse him for not throwing it in neutral, though.

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
Just goes to show Toyota isn't the almighty car maker that knows no failure.

they suck the big dick just like ALL car companies do.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
way to take one sentence in that write-up and take it out of context. Try reading comprehension before opening your mouth...
:
:lol:
:whine:
You dont know what was said or what went down. Its he said, she said B.S.We do know that you win drama queen thread of the year.:thumbsup:

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
So much for quick thinking under pressure, just turn the damn ignition switch off. I have a 65 Mustang that when the driver side motor mount breaks will accelerate by itself because it pulls the throttle open as the engine torques over. When it happened there was the brief "oh shit" moment. Then I just shut it off, seemed like the right thing to do.:shrug:

since drama queen stated you cant turn the key off, i do know for a fact if you slam the brakes on, you will be able to get enough brake force if you stand on it to slow the car down pretty good. Even the you lose vac with the accel stuck. There is of course nuetral or hell even throw it in park or reverse. The car will cut power to the drivetrain. Sounds like he had plenty of time to react becuase by the time he crashed, they "claimed" he was doin over a hundred miles an hour.

venmos1

Established Member
what an awefully weird situation. we can really only speculate. unless we were in the situation we can say what would take place. we can say i would do this or that, but until it actually happens you dont know what you would do. this reminds me of a time i tried out a truck. the thing cluncked aweful when taking off. so i told the salesman that. "ill let someone know" he said. so i went out and drove another. when i came back i see the truck with the clunk back in the parking lot where it was previously. i know a clunk isnt life threatening, but who knows what could happen. i never thought of it that way, but after hearing this you just never know. just a messed up situation

JasonSnake

Established Member
Waiting for a Toyota Supra's gas pedal to get stuck while the Nitrous switch gets stuck and the boost controller gets stuck

Users who are viewing this thread