TPMS - tires need balancing?

Ironman_GT

Established Member
i bought new tires and wheels a few months back from LMR and they came mounted and balanced but I already had a set of TPMS. I need to have them installed and pep boys is $18 per tire for this and telling me they don't really need to be re-balanced. If they do rebalance it's about $35 per tire for balancing and TPMS install.

Do I need the balancing again when I have these installed?

awsmsvt

How picky are you when it comes to wheels and tires? I've been in the same situation as you but took the bullet and did not balance. Pep boys in my area has a good reputation, but not too sure for yours. Good luck whichever way you may go

Beviking

They have to deflate the tire, pop the bead and install the tpms sensor. They should be able to do this w/o removing the tire. Essentially all they're doing is adding the sensor on the back of the valve stem (yes, they're swapping the entire stem with a new one that has the sensor attached) but you may/may not notice any difference regarding balance or vibration issues. If you have the cash, have them balanced. If not, drive away and go back if there's an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
True, they don't need to remove the tire, BUT the tire is still going to get move out of position as they fumble around with it. You'll need to have them rebalanced.

Sent from my BlackBerry. The blacker the 'Berry, the sweeter the use!

Users who are viewing this thread