TR-3650 Questions

PhaidOut

Established Member
Ok, I have been reading and looking over threads and such for a few days. Seems that I have a (to put it nicely) crappy service department at the local dealership. I guess i was blindly hoping that changed with a few years of new ownership. I have what seem to be ALL the typical complaints about these transmissions: notchy shifting, gear grinds, whines, etc. It appears NONE of the FSB fixes where ever done to the car and since it has mods I doubt they will do them.

The car is an 01 with 18k on it. O/R Bassani, Mac ProChambers, K&N filter, BBK PUllies, 3.73 or 4.10 (seller said 4.10 but paperwork say 3.73 but I need to jack it up and figure it out yet), Steeda shifter, and a tune. I only have a thousand of those miles on it. Just purchased it late last fall.

I may not need to rebuild it YET; but I want to ask a few questions.

Seems dex III/Mercon or Dex V are the lube of choice - any disagreement?
How much is the question. 3.2, 3.6 & 4 quarts are what I have read.

For rebuilds - is there a best kit out there? Or does anyone make a solid aftermarket build? I don't want to invest big money in a conversion, I don't really need it with my power level, but I would like it beefier than stock. I have read about a few but I am looking for real world experience.

How about a 5th gear in the .53-.58 range? I like my gears but want to hit the highway with the car too.

I am thinking an MGW is going in very shortly. Everything I have read says that is the only way to go. I can not find anyone saying anything other than smooth as butter even with the TR-3650.

Last edited:

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
In our 01's 3650 we ran Synchromesh to the fill plug. Ran great.

The stock 5th is .675 The Mach 3650's have a .63

Stock they are actually pretty stout 5-speeds. We ran ours through hell and back and never had issues with it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I ran Mercon III in mine with no issues. I think the fill is 3.1 quarts. Which will put you under the threads in the fill plug IIRC. I always filled mine through the shifter hole. The only way to get a steeper 5th gear to go with the 03/04 models. Those have the .62 5th gear as SSC mentioned. Before I swapped to the T-56 I was planning on having Promotion build one of those later models so I'd have the taller 5th gear.

PhaidOut

Established Member
Matt,

I have read about some about synchormesh as well. Not all reviews were outstanding, but I don't recall anything negative. It is another non-synthetic, which I understand is something you want in these. Any particular brand?

That is also what I seen about 5th gears. Everything but the Machs had a .675/.68 depending on rounding... I also read about American Powertrain coming out with a 2.90 first and a .57/.53, only one I found any talk of though. Not sure if it came out yet though. I am calling them tomorrow.

Did both of you notice better shifting?

Pete

01yellercobra

Established Member
The GT's had the taller 5th gear as well. My buddy had an 03 GT and his cruising rpm was lower with the same gears. I never tried the Synchromesh in my 3650. But I never had a problem with the tranny. I had the MGW shifter.

2001cobravert

Established Member
There was a write-up somewhere (mach1registry I believe) that running 3 liters of Mobile 1 ATF with 24oz of Lucas tranny fix does wonders.
Helps with noise and shifting while cold issues.

Users who are viewing this thread