Track car...

thom

The Logic of Being Fuzzy
Established Member
Hey all,

I'm thinking about getting a new (read: used) car in the next few months as soon as I get my seperation paycheck. I'd like to use it for strictly track/strip duty, and maybe around town every once in a while.

I've thought about an NSX, C5, and a Z06. I'm not sure about the NSX, doesn't really get me going all that much... But I think a C5 or Z06, preferably the Z06 would be awesome, especially with forced induction. Of course, Vipers are dropping in price, too...

Question is, what are used C5s, Z06s, and Vipers running for that you guys have seen? And how much does it cost to add forced induction? I think for the track the Z06 would be perfect, but I'm sure the Viper is as good a performer, if not better...

Problem is, I'd like to keep this in the 30k range. If not less. Obviously, the cheaper the better. But I realize these are awesome cars, and I'm going to have to pay a reasonably large amount.

And I love Cobras, but... There's something about Corvettes and Vipers that gets my blood flowing. The NSX is pretty sweet too, but is starting to look a little dated, and I'm not sure about performance/handling modifications and the costs for that car...

Anyone has any ideas or advice, please help. Thanks a bunch.

REPOEDsDIME

w00000t w00t!
Established Member
Why not go with a new G35 coupe? you can pick one up for a little more than 30k and it's brand new. These cars are tearing up the tracks(road course). I guess I would need to know what type of track???

thom

The Logic of Being Fuzzy
Established Member
They are, really?

And the thing is, I haven't decided on the track. I'm leaning towards road racing. Really want to get into it... But I also want to hit the drag strip with the car, too.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Duende
They are, really?

And the thing is, I haven't decided on the track. I'm leaning towards road racing. Really want to get into it... But I also want to hit the drag strip with the car, too.

One car: Cobra. Get a used '03 for 26K. Spend the remaining 4K on suspension and motor mods. :beer:

REPOEDsDIME

w00000t w00t!
Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
One car: Cobra. Get a used '03 for 26K. Spend the remaining 4K on suspension and motor mods. :beer:

yeah, well of course an 03 Cobra if anything. But if not than I would seriously go for the G35 coupe. There is starting to be alot out there aftermarket wise for these cars. Superchargers that go along with your warranty etc. I hate to advertise for another forum on a totally different forum but check out G35Driver.com. All I can truely say is that you should research before buying. It always pays off in the end to research.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by REPOEDsDIME
yeah, well of course an 03 Cobra if anything. But if not than I would seriously go for the G35 coupe. There is starting to be alot out there aftermarket wise for these cars. Superchargers that go along with your warranty etc. I hate to advertise for another forum on a totally different forum but check out G35Driver.com. All I can truely say is that you should research before buying. It always pays off in the end to research.

I don't think the G35 will compete for anything less than 40K with mods. Remember, this is a creampuff without the 5K eaton upgrade. :thumbsup:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
That one is a fun ride!.... If you want to finish last.
not true...they handle like they're on rails(70+MPH slalom), and can be modded in excess of 300 horses.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
not true...they handle like they're on rails(70+MPH slalom), and can be modded in excess of 300 horses.

I know, I was only joking. :beer:

thom

The Logic of Being Fuzzy
Established Member
Yeah, that Elise is funny looking. An idea I hadn't thought of, though....

300hp Miata would be pretty sick...

G35 just doesn't seem to have the aftermarket support yet, or any real power to it. If I were to buy that, I might as well get the Z instead...

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Yeah, that Elise is funny looking. An idea I hadn't thought of, though....

300hp Miata would be pretty sick...

G35 just doesn't seem to have the aftermarket support yet, or any real power to it. If I were to buy that, I might as well get the Z instead...
You can buy a G35 today and have a full race spec aerodynamics package and a super or turbo charger done by the end of the week, as well as bolt on exhausts, etc...etc...

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
g35 would be a nice track/street car but not the best pure race car.

I'm not sure what would be the best bet for a strictly track/strip duty for about 30k or less. But I do know it probably won't have heated leather seats, navigation system, or any of that sh!t. I think you'll want a roll bar in a pure race car before you want a navigation system.

My best guess would be the new mazdaspeed miata which comes turbocharged from the factory. Plus you'll have money left over to mod it and really turn it into a full on race car.

edit: links to info
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/handleHomeFlash.action?vehicleCode=MIZ&modelYear=2004
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/downloads/MIZ/musa_miz_specs.pdf

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Last edited:

thom

The Logic of Being Fuzzy
Established Member
Sweeet Miata! Thanks for those great links.

Cobra R ... I freaking wish.

dgussin, you have any more info on that race-spec G35?

hj16

Established Member
How about a C4? Im sure you could snag one with a LT1 for around 10-15K if you look hard enough. Freshen up the block, do a Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust combo, Full Suspension, lighten her up a tad, and toss on some brakes.....and you've got a 400rwhp Track Monster on Rails for around 30K tops.:)

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Sweeet Miata! Thanks for those great links.

Cobra R ... I freaking wish.

dgussin, you have any more info on that race-spec G35?
I was saying that you could build one...there are tons of companies that make coilovers, turbochargers, superchargers, and much more...check out g35driver.com that is the best G35 forum around...I really wanted one B4 I got my terminator.

Users who are viewing this thread