Track Key Warranty Claim - issue for street driving?

bretlasalle

Established Member
Hey guys,

Well I finally decided to install track key and while at the dealer, they told me that if something warranty related went wrong while driving with the track key(not on a track) the warranty claim would likely be denied. I will never track this car, but would love a little lopey idle in my life - does anyone have direct experience here? I am cool with the pay to play risk, just want to know about it before hand.

I am really sorry to bring this back up as there are already a ton of posts on similar issues, though I wasn't able to find this exact topic definitively answered through the search feature of the forum. Forgive me! :beer:

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Found on Ford Racing Web-site
BOSS 302 TracKey - Ford Racing Performance Parts

Available now
TracKey powertrain software installation and key programming will be available to 2012 - 2013 Mustang Boss 302 owners through Ford Racing authorized dealers. Priced at $302 (retail), TracKey is available starting Nov. 1 from your local Ford dealer. As an aftermarket product, TracKey comes with a “best-in-the-aftermarket industry” 3-year/36,000-mile warranty, and its installation and usage does not void the original OE warranty.

Last edited:

Steve@Tasca

I've probably sold more of the Track-Key kits than anyone and I've not heard of anyone having and issue caused by the software, I think your dealership is also poorly informed.

Para81

Established Member
I've probably sold more of the Track-Key kits than anyone and I've not heard of anyone having and issue caused by the software, I think your dealership is also poorly informed.

Where do they hire these people from? They know nothing about cars.

LostPony

Established Member
Also keep in mind that they have to prove that the track key software caused the issue to begin with. If that is true, then only the 3/36 warranty applies, otherwise you have your full OE warranty to protect you.

OrangeCompete

Roadrunner
Established Member
Also, make sure Ford Racing gets a copy of your paperwork from the dealer, otherwise the warranty will not truly be in effect (I called long ago and scanned and emailed to them).

Steve@Tasca

Also, make sure Ford Racing gets a copy of your paperwork from the dealer, otherwise the warranty will not truly be in effect (I called long ago and scanned and emailed to them).

Never heard that before so I called my best guy at Ford Racing to check and apparently the tech or owner is "supposed" to contact FRPP after the programming is done to register it with FRPP for warranty.

That said, he also told me that if it's not done immediately it's not really an issue and they can and do register the car at basically any point as long as you have your proof of purchase and the dealership repair order to verify when and where it was done. :beer:

-Steve

65sohc

Established Member
Sounds like the dealer near me who said they could not update (at my expense) the clutch in my 2009 GT500 to the 2011 design because: 1) it won't fit. 2) it is an illegal performance modification. I went across town and not only did they replace the clutch, they took it upon themselves to charge Ford because the original clutch wore out in 20,000 miles. Similar scenario least week when I inquired about the TracKey. Dealer #1 about had a panic attack, saying that their computers were not sophisticated enough and something might go wrong. Dealer #2 did it with pleasure, as long as I promised to observe the "For Track Use Only" warning.

Steve@Tasca

Sounds like the dealer near me who said they could not update (at my expense) the clutch in my 2009 GT500 to the 2011 design because: 1) it won't fit. 2) it is an illegal performance modification. I went across town and not only did they replace the clutch, they took it upon themselves to charge Ford because the original clutch wore out in 20,000 miles. Similar scenario least week when I inquired about the TracKey. Dealer #1 about had a panic attack, saying that their computers were not sophisticated enough and something might go wrong. Dealer #2 did it with pleasure, as long as I promised to observe the "For Track Use Only" warning.

Well you know who to see for service then don't you. :beer:

-Steve

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
"For Track Use Only" warning.
((Read owners manual on how to operate advancetrac and what to expect when it is turned off, operate at your own risk) (<<< Legal Disclaimer))

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread