Track noobie needs help

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
Going to the track for the 1st time EVER on Fri and had some questions.
-What psi should I run the F1's at front/rear?
-Should I remove the spare/jack and run at 1/4 tank gas or would more weight toward the back help?
-Is the front right headlight just a simple screwdriver removal? I have the jlp cai and might as well feed it some air.
-Are most ppl doing a small burnout still? I have seen some posts of doing small 2nd gear burnouts (jtfx), sorry for sounding dumb but do you use the pbrake or just rev and dump the clutch to do this.

I know to drive around the water, and thx to postban I will make sure my windows are up;-) I plan to launch at around 2000rpm, sliping the cluch. Any other suggestions/prayers appreciated.

jason

f4sfed

Established Member
I ran my tires at @ 20 psi, and folded the mirrors in. ...course that's not sayin' much (refer to my sig).

Good luck! Keep us posted please?! I would LOVE to hear how you ran!

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
I recently went to the track for the 1st time EVER, and I think i got most of the initial embarassments out of my system, lol. I had never been to any track event, so i was totally an amature. I did not know how the lights worked, green, i learned, is bad to see. The windows also should be up, haha. I was also told to launch at about 1500 - 1700 RPMs b/c of bad wheel hop. Hmm...what else did I do wrong? 3rd is a mean gear to hit. I was told to pull from the bottom on 1-2 and take my hand and push, not grab and lean forward, for 2-3. Also, if you do it a couple of times, learn where your rev limiter kicks in, b/c that thing is awful to hit. I shifted sometimes just before or just after 6000 RPMs. I also saw most 03 guys going around the water and doing a very small cleaning of the tires burnout unless they were running serious slicks.

I may be reiterating stuff you already know, but I'm just telling you how my first experience at the track went.

Have Fun and Let Us Know The Results
Chelsea

Grey03

Established Member
Drive around the water, do a small burnout just to "clean" the tires. Make sure you pay attention when you stage, do not line up with the rear tires, as I have seen new people to the track do this.... When I went I left at idle and let the clutch out all the way and then nailed it. Depending upon track prep, you should get no wheel hop. I went 12.65 like this and I do not power shift. I would start with that and then work on bringing up the launch rpm's also if you can't shift, a good launch is just about worthless, so practice on making good clean, and fast shifts. Our cars have enough power to easily run in the 12's while leaving at idle, also your clutch will thank you.

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
RELAX!!! This is the biggest problem I see at the track. I have been racing for about 12 years now and the worst thing I see is people getting to excited and blowing the tires loose.

Drive around the water.........give it a little gas and popped the clutch for a quick cleaning of the tires.

Move slowly up until you see both yellow bulbs up top appear right under each other.

Leave at about idle until you get the hang of it and leave on the last yellow light......don't wait for the green, if you do it will hurt your reaction time. (May go slower)..

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeEyes87
I recently went to the track for the 1st time EVER, and I think i got most of the initial embarassments out of my system, lol. I had never been to any track event, so i was totally an amature. I did not know how the lights worked, green, i learned, is bad to see. The windows also should be up, haha. I was also told to launch at about 1500 - 1700 RPMs b/c of bad wheel hop. Hmm...what else did I do wrong? 3rd is a mean gear to hit. I was told to pull from the bottom on 1-2 and take my hand and push, not grab and lean forward, for 2-3. Also, if you do it a couple of times, learn where your rev limiter kicks in, b/c that thing is awful to hit. I shifted sometimes just before or just after 6000 RPMs. I also saw most 03 guys going around the water and doing a very small cleaning of the tires burnout unless they were running serious slicks.

I may be reiterating stuff you already know, but I'm just telling you how my first experience at the track went.

Have Fun and Let Us Know The Results
Chelsea

YES!!! EXACTLY THE SAME! In fact, as I was rolling forward to stage, I notice the Pre-Stage and then the Stage lights flash on, than off. I open the window and ask the guy "...I just passed the line, didn't I". Then the announcer says something like "staging 101".

And of my three times down the strip, I hit the rev limiter twice and missed third once.

So at least I'm in good company. :beer:

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
So at least I'm in good company.
HaHa!

On my 9 times I ran, I missed 3rd about 4 or 5 times, hit the rev limiter twice, and went on green 6 times and had horrible r/t's. But, w/those horrible r/t's and hitting 3rd perfectly, I somehow managed a 13.009 @ 110. I have the Pro 5.0 shifter and I love the shorter shift, but the handle needs an extension on it, or at least I think that may help the shifting. Surprisingly, I figured out the staging lights after the 1st couple of times and they weren't a problem. The only thing I was nervous about was REALLY embarassing myself, and some of that tension was let off from the location b/c I went 3 hours away from where I live to race and no one knew me.

Later
Chelsea

SVTyballz

Established Member
jason,

hey good luck dude. maybe we can hook up there next month. say hello to the 11's for me. hehehehehe later

gary

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
SnakeEyes87, I can relate to your experience. My first pass I had the T/C on and hit the rev limiter for an embarassing 13.67. After a few trips to the track, I got a 12.73. I was shifting at 6200-6300 rpm. This is the best spot to shift. You can almost let the sound of the engine tell you when to eye the tach as it passes 6000 rpm and shift before you hit the limiter.

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
I've only been to the track twice in my old '01 Vert... I've made a total of 3 passes. The best outcome was a 13.985 @ 103 <sigh> Slow slow slow slow slow... was I just driving horribly? .590 r/t

-- Jaret

Users who are viewing this thread