Track Ready: first time on slicks

03terminat0r

Established Member
Launch control sucks. Learn to drive your car and you'll never want it. A tune needs to remove clutch protection, then turn all assist off and learn to drive the car by walking it off the line with a quick swap of the feet. Clutch dump ONLY on bias ply slicks.
OP what are you shifting at?
Car shouould be trapping 130mph no problem.
-J

I know the trap speed was pretty low. On the clean runs my 1-2 shift was ~6300 and my 2-3 was ~6700. I ran twice trying to shift 1-2 at 6700 and missed both times. After missing I got a little slower and cautious to ensure I didn't miss again.

I've been reading some threads on 1-2 shift lockout and getting a list of parts ready to help me shift more consistently at higher rpm's 1-2.

svt662

Established Member
It can in perfect weather with a good driver. You'd like the car a lot better with a gear. I went [email protected] with 1.76 60' on 20s with only mods being 4.10s, Lund tune, 20" Alcoas with NT05Rs. DA was 800 I believe. If you're willing to do those mods and run that tire I'd recommend a 3.73 to 4.10. Also try removing front sway bar, I still need to do that myself just for the track.
-J
Nice at close to 130 mph!

svt662

Established Member
I don't think a stock gt500 with only DR's has ever been in the 10's. You would at least need gears like biminiLX.
Or you could just buy a hellcat or z06 and run 10's with a DR only.
They had a auto hellcat (modded) running some really quick times when I was there.
Your right about the hellcat and Z06. I still love the Shelby's.....

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, the next thing I would like to do is 3.73's and some LCA's
Any reason you say 3.73s and not 4.10s?
If you don't plan on adding crazy power, the 4.10s a better all around combo IMO.
I had both when I just had bolt ons at 750rwhp range and these cars dyno with peaks at 6600rpm range.
3.73s had me trapping at low 6100rpm range and 4.10s where closer to 6500rpm.
It trapped higher with 4.10s and was better around town off boost.
Only way 4.10s are too much is if you want to have 800+rwhp and don't do cams/built lower end.
I now have 960rwhp and still 4.10s but cams and built motor so I want to trap at 7000+ but I'm prob ready to drop down to 3.73/3.90, just need to see what the ET Street R 28x11.5x17s do on datalog. Bias plys like your Hoosiers will grow, do you remember the trap RPM you saw?
Sounds like you have the right plans to improve next outing, probably gears, control arms, MGW shifter.
How do you like the N2MB bow?
Mine is installed but I haven't played with it much, I really want the consistency of 2-step launching and WOT shifting should help too.
Keep us posted.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Your right about the hellcat and Z06. I still love the Shelby's.....
I have a Hellcat Charger DD (all are Auto) and it takes MUCH more skill to run a Shelby at the track, I can see benefits of both, great to have choices. Our cars would have been absolute killers at track with 6R auto like Coyote cars.
Good fun either way.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
OP I was going to PM you but thought guys would want to know--how do you have the N2MB box set up?
Maybe a screen shot?
I'll be doing that soon.
And you'll love the JPC line lock also for track consistency.
Only thing is every line lock I've had used momentary switches, JPC has a regular arming switch. Getting used to it but might be better as I don't have a shift ball with button for the trigger.
-J

svt662

Established Member
I have a Hellcat Charger DD (all are Auto) and it takes MUCH more skill to run a Shelby at the track, I can see benefits of both, great to have choices. Our cars would have been absolute killers at track with 6R auto like Coyote cars.
Good fun either way.
-J
This is very true!

03terminat0r

Established Member
Any reason you say 3.73s and not 4.10s?
If you don't plan on adding crazy power, the 4.10s a better all around combo IMO.
I had both when I just had bolt ons at 750rwhp range and these cars dyno with peaks at 6600rpm range.
3.73s had me trapping at low 6100rpm range and 4.10s where closer to 6500rpm.
It trapped higher with 4.10s and was better around town off boost.
Only way 4.10s are too much is if you want to have 800+rwhp and don't do cams/built lower end.
I now have 960rwhp and still 4.10s but cams and built motor so I want to trap at 7000+ but I'm prob ready to drop down to 3.73/3.90, just need to see what the ET Street R 28x11.5x17s do on datalog. Bias plys like your Hoosiers will grow, do you remember the trap RPM you saw?
Sounds like you have the right plans to improve next outing, probably gears, control arms, MGW shifter.
How do you like the N2MB bow?
Mine is installed but I haven't played with it much, I really want the consistency of 2-step launching and WOT shifting should help too.
Keep us posted.
-J

I actually have read a lot of threads that you've posted in about 4.10's. I thought 3.73's would be a bit more for all-around driving. I tracked the gt500, but don't have plans for that anymore. Just some highway pulls and dragstrip now. I may go with 4.10's as I don't plan on making too much power. May add some headers and a tb soon just to be fbo. How would the 4.10's be on the highway, say doing some 40-60mph pulls?

I cannot recall the trap rpm, but next time I'll take a look.

03terminat0r

Established Member
OP I was going to PM you but thought guys would want to know--how do you have the N2MB box set up?
Maybe a screen shot?
I'll be doing that soon.
And you'll love the JPC line lock also for track consistency.
Only thing is every line lock I've had used momentary switches, JPC has a regular arming switch. Getting used to it but might be better as I don't have a shift ball with button for the trigger.
-J

I can get a screenshot of the wot box setup once i'm near the car again. I'll post it up for you.

The 2-step is really helpful. From the launch my foot never came off the pedal. I had it WOT all through first gear and it felt great. I've used the nls a lot, but I would need to play around with it more to be confident with it at the drag strip. I feel like i can shift faster without it, and I want to fix the 1-2 shift before using it for speed. I also have not upgraded oil pump gears or anything.

Its fun to use on the highway though. Usually 3-4 using the nls shoots a big fireball

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If you want to keep a safe street combo 750-800rwhp and have good octane and stick to 6500rpm shifts, in my opinion 4.10s and be happy. I run 315/35/20 almost 29" street DRs and on street 4.10s are perfect. On highway 80mph is 2000rpm, again perfect. I can guarantee you'd love 4.10s
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great to see another drag guy going hard at it!
Please let me know on N2NB I'd appreciate it.

I'll be mounting the bias ET Rs, did Hoosier recommend a tube? I wondered as these heavy high torque stick cars would like the stiffer sidewall.
Overall did you like the Hoosiers?
ONLY reason I went MT was DOT
-J

03terminat0r

Established Member

I'll be mounting the bias ET Rs, did Hoosier recommend a tube? I wondered as these heavy high torque stick cars would like the stiffer sidewall.
-J

After reading on their website I gathered that a tube was not needed for the hoosiers I am using. Before the hoosiers I had the non bias ET street R and it was a good drag radial, but I wanted to launch. Eventually I will have a 15in wheel and MT stiff sidewall slicks but the hoosiers worked really well for me.

03terminat0r

Established Member

-J

e6b23c1xomm2c96zg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread