Track times at test and tune tonight

Leonard 95

Established Member
Finally got to run the gt500 tonight after getting the clutch tsb done. Basically this is the 2nd time I been out at the track in this car, first time out I ran 12.5 at 115mph but clutch was dragging during that run. My mods are jt cai, 2.6 pulley, vmp tune, upper/lower arms, relocation bracket, d-spec shocks/struts, 3.73 gears, ccw 18x11 rims with 305/35/18 mt et street radials. Vehicle dynoed 531rwhp and 528rwtq on a 91 octane tune.

1st run, had tires set around 16psi and launched around 3000rpm, car hooked good off the line but I floored it instead of riding it out so it started to spin right after that.

60ft ------ 2.009 pathetic
1/8 mile--- 7.896 at 97.5mph
1/4 mile--- 12.003 at 122.5mph

2nd run I lowered the tires to 15psi, launched around 3000rpms again, car hooked pretty good this time but had clutch issue going into 4th gear, went in gear but no one was home, fried the clutch.

60ft------ 1.804
1/8 mile---7.483 at 99.5mph
1/4 mile--- 12.34 at 91.21mph, basically I hit 4th around 800-900ft and coasted the rest of the way to the end, I got to say it was on a mid 11's pass pretty easy.

So what have I learned from tonight, get a damn LINE LOCK, that it was caused my clutch to go bad I am pretty sure, I was side stepping it and I guess I gave it to much brake causing the rear tires not to move heating the clutch up. So now I guess I need to get a new clutch and line lock and go back at it again!

kent1

Established Member
It was too bad you had trouble with the 4th gear, because you have most definitely ran a good eleven. After you figure it out, your time will be excellent. Good luck.

Leonard 95

Established Member
It was too bad you had trouble with the 4th gear, because you have most definitely ran a good eleven. After you figure it out, your time will be excellent. Good luck.

I have a friend that has a pj supercharged saleen that ran 7.47 at 98mph in the 1/8, he ended up running 11.44 in the 1/4. Oh well, could of should of, next time I will be more prepared.

svtseeker

Established Member
i knew i should've went to the track yesterday. i seen you drive the car a while ago against a red gt500 kr i think.. your car looks absolutely amazing in person. its too bad on the clutch problem especially right after getting the tsb done. i'll definately be looking forward to watching you at test'n'tune next time im up there.

Leonard 95

Established Member
i knew i should've went to the track yesterday. i seen you drive the car a while ago against a red gt500 kr i think.. your car looks absolutely amazing in person. its too bad on the clutch problem especially right after getting the tsb done. i'll definately be looking forward to watching you at test'n'tune next time im up there.

Yea, you should of gone out there, pretty good turnout. Had another gt500 running 11.7 range, Clint from Bartlesville. Also another black one with black rims but it wasn't running very good. That run against the kr was my first and last pass of that day also.

All in all I had a great time, even though its gonna cost me probably around 1500 to fix it. I thought my car had around 118-120mph range in it, I would of never guessed 122mph+ and damn near 100mph in the 1/8 mile. Heck I still need more parts to go, driveshaft, heat exchanger, t/b, lower pulley and a port, can't wait! :)

Last edited:

2kmelat

Established Member
too bad but get a real clutch this time. SPEC super twin kit

my new clutch will be done monday (spec) blew mine out for the 2nd time. i guess the next thing that will go out is the rear. my winter project is a 9in.

Leonard 95

Established Member
Which spec clutch did you guys go with? I know there is like 2-3 versions of it, I don't ever plan on having 700-800rwhp, so I doubt I need anything more than that.

2kmelat

Established Member
Which spec clutch did you guys go with? I know there is like 2-3 versions of it, I don't ever plan on having 700-800rwhp, so I doubt I need anything more than that.

i went with the st but the one u need to look at is the p. if u are planing on going the the track i wouldnt use a stock clutch spend now and save later.

Leonard 95

Established Member
I went with the P trim, it still has plenty of chatter and is slightly heavier than stock.

I was waiting for you to chime in, are you happy with it so far? I really don't mind much chatter, heck with this last stock clutch it hardly chattered at all with 3.73 gears. My only fear is the clutch feel, I really don't want my clutch to be like the 03-04 cobras, freaking leg work out.

sfadchi

Established Member
I was waiting for you to chime in, are you happy with it so far? I really don't mind much chatter, heck with this last stock clutch it hardly chattered at all with 3.73 gears. My only fear is the clutch feel, I really don't want my clutch to be like the 03-04 cobras, freaking leg work out.

As of right now if I had it to do again I would have went ram, but I only have 50 miles on the new clutch, so that might change. The pedal is starting to feel lighter, about as light as stock, but it does chatter a ton even with my 3.73s.

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
I have the P trim, but not installed yet.......and hope I have zero chatter (didn't like to read that)......you're the first I read that has it?? same or worst or better after 50 miles?? SPEC does recommend 500 miles of street driving to break it in though

Last edited:

sfadchi

Established Member
I have the P trim, but not installed yet.......and hope I have zero chatter (didn't like to read that)......you're the first I read that has it?? same or worst or better after 50 miles?? SPEC does recommend 500 miles of street driving to break it in though

I don't feel the chatter is getting better, the pedal feel is though. I have been breaking it in, so we will see. I'm trying to drive it as much as possible.

R1Lello

Established Member
I don't feel the chatter is getting better, the pedal feel is though. I have been breaking it in, so we will see. I'm trying to drive it as much as possible.

I'm a little surprised, a few vendors that have sold several never mentioned this and SPEC did not either when I called them.......and some forum members had spec installed and no mention either.......you're the first. Hope it gets better for you during breakin..........I'm curious to hear

From SPEC - " Until now, there has been a drivability, maintenance and longevity trade-off with clutches built to handle 700-1500 ft lbs tq. The revolutionary new SPEC Super Twin has set a new standard offering near-stock drivability, tremendous life expectancy, a no shimming/setup bolt-in installation and maintenance free operation.

With all billet construction, these units are smooth and quiet. The super twin is constructed with aircraft grade aluminum and high carbon billet steel milled to an industry leading .001 inch for perfect balance and actuation

Last edited:

Leonard 95

Established Member
Looking forward to hearing some feedback, I would rather not have a ton of chatter, if so I will just go with the ram clutch. I probably will never have in excess of 700rwhp so I really don't need the baddest clutch around.

2kmelat

Established Member
mine is done but the weather is bad up here still sitting at the ford dealer ship. looks like thursday. i will let u know.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
To the OP:
You def had a mid 11 and
I do not think not having a line lock is why your clutch failed. I think you just got a #&^?!# up and a re !%#@ed up tranny.
These trannys seem to F up but the clutch seems to be able to hold < 600whp with no problem for quite a bit of abuse.
I think the tranny Gremlins struck!

Users who are viewing this thread