Traction Control and Stalling? Long Post

Balloonmeister

Established Member
The new (Sep 2002) issue of Sports Car International magazine, has an article about the '03 Cobra (author is David Colman). Generally, the article is very positive, however, one part of the story caught my eye, relative to stalling problems which have been reported, especially when slowing to make a corner. I quote:

"And as for the traction control "advantage," it must be great for keeping dealership cowboys in check at the slalom rodeo, or braving a Romeo blizzard, but it sure is a bad deal out on the street. Before realizing TC was engaged all the time, I swept the Cobra into a banzai pass on a two laner, only to find the engine go stark-raving dead for a full count of three before resurrecting itself enough to get me past (barely) the guy in front. That heartstopper was merely the precursor to an autocross debut with this car that was so disappointing it inspired me to track down the TC problem the very next day.

On a course at Candlestick Park, somewhat longer than the one at Stockton, the Cobra - with TC on - was 13 seconds slower than my 914-6! Traction Control never allowed the V8 to come on boost except at the most inopportune times. In the middle of the slalom cones, just when you least needed it, eight pounds of boost would kick in. But going up the straight, TC throttled back power to pittance levels. What a folly, and here I had a queue of expectant Mustang co-pilots lined up to experience the thrill of it all. They got their just desserts the next week, however, when the wretched Traction Control system bit the dust."

Questions: Does this experience sound like what has been reported on the board as cars stalling? Is there an on/off switch for TC?

92LX5.0

Established Member
dont have mine yet, but yes there is an on off switch. Everytime you start the car, its on.

i8u

Established Member
It's in front of the shifter next to the defrost. If the light is on the traction control is off.

hoofbeat

Established Member
unless your driving in a rainstorm or(god forbid) a snowstorm when you start your var and before you fasten your setbelt TURN OFF THE TC!!

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Yep... TC is great for bad weather and wet pavement... other than that, it's annoying.

My 2001 GT has it, which allowed me to drive it all last winter (Chicago) with no issues, but there have been a number of times where I've forgotten to turn it off and it kicks in when I don't want it to... (dry pavement - hit the gas a bit hard on a launch and the tires break loose - except they don't because of TC).

When TC kicks in, it feels like the engine is about to quit, and basically the "moment" is gone by the time TC kicks off.

Bottom line - turn it off unless the weather warrants leaving it on.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I read somewhere that the traction control can be permanently disabled by disconnecting the wiring harness connector on the back of the rocker switch.

If thats true we could put another switch inline to allow us to easily go back to auto-on mode.

I'm still waiting for my T3 to be built but I'm sure that by then one of you guys will have figured out a graceful solution to this.

It sounds easy to say that you'll just turn it off each time, but that gets to be a huge PIA......:cuss:

Last edited:

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
Actually I found that turning the TC off in my car pretty much became second nature after the first week or two....Get in car, Start Car, put seatbelt on, release e-brake, turn off TC, shift to R......I never even think about it.....I know they sell a harness (For F-Bodys) that goes inline between normal harness and the switch, and it makes it stay off unless you flip the switch and then it goes on.....not sure if they make them for the stangs or if the F-body ones would work with the stang.....Try emailing someone at Http://www.slpeng.com they would be able to tell you...they sell them...

jtfx6552

Established Member
I think traction control (as implemented on the mustang anyway) is the biggest bunch of crap ever perpetrated on the driving public. I had it in my '99 cobra, and tried it in all kinds of weather including snow, it is always a hindrance. The car would not go in snow ( the last hope I had of it being usefull), it would slowly just power limit the car to a stop. Had to turn it off to get home. I can't believe we are paying money (I wish it was an option we could go without)for the pleasure of remembering to turn it off every time the car is started.
JT

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I agree that its pretty useless and is basically made for people who don't know how to handle their vehicle with a little bit of finesse when needed.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
CobraDOHC even though I do think it would be amusing to have somebody who doesn't realize who SLP Engineering is call and ask for a Cobra TC over-ride. I don't think they will be to assistive as SLP is GM's equivalent to SVT for Ford.

We really need to find a real way to kill this TC problem. I don't think that removing the switch will keep it off as the light goes on when it is off which would lead me to believe that it is completing a circuit to disable it.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by tofast4u-Cobra0
CobraDOHC even though I do think it would be amusing to have somebody who doesn't realize who SLP Engineering is call and ask for a Cobra TC over-ride. I don't think they will be to assistive as SLP is GM's equivalent to SVT for Ford.

actually, SLP is working both sides of the fence now....they're doing the new Ranger Thunderbolts for Ford. (is it just me or do you guys think that thing is a waste of the classic Thunderbolt name?)

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
There's gotta be an electrical engineer around here who can come up with a quick solution - this always on switch sounds really annoying.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I sure won't be spending $50.......I'll do it myself

cobragb

Ford/Mustang Nut
Established Member
If you figure out how, let us know. I do know that disconnecting the switch will not disable TC. The switch is a normally open, momentary closed push button. There is no way simply disconnecting it will tell the computer to disable TC.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Balloonmeister

Questions: Does this experience sound like what has been reported on the board as cars stalling? Is there an on/off switch for TC?

Mine's stalled on me 4 times so far, everytime traction control was off. Each time I was out of gear while turning and braking. I've had the TC kick in and believe me it's nothing like the sudden silence , lack of steering or brakes with the "stall". When the TC kicks in everyone knows it because your car actualy seems to put on the brakes and sounds quite sick. In my opinion they should have made TC an option you could delete. :gt:

mike69440

Established Member
It would be nice to need traction control.

Be glad your car needs traction control! My 03 Cobra "Runt of the Litter" is so weak it will only spin them on wet pavement after tach passes 4000 RPM in 1'st! At least I will be saving on rear tires.

Warning test drive your Car before paying for it! Service Mgr. say eveything checks out. Those sure are the tiniest little 390 ponies I ever felt under my rump? We shall see! SVT, why have you not responded to my fax? Guess they are not interested, yet.

Users who are viewing this thread