Traction issues?

atrainsgt

Established Member
I've been having some traction issues in my nitrous mach 1 and wondered if you all could give me some suggestions. It only makes 422hp/504tq so I wouldn't think traction on slicks would be such a problem. The car sprays from 3300-6500rpm and is setup on a WOT switch. So far I can't get traction on 28x10.5 slicks with as low as 12psi in them. I've tried 12-14 psi. The track temp was cold, 50*f last time but I would of thought I could have hooked fine on 12psi. Every time the pedal hits the floor the slicks spin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. I'm going to try my ET street radials and see if they are a little more predictable for me. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

atrainsgt

Established Member
Yes, a good long burnout. I will upload a video for refference. The slicks dead hook N/A with 14psi in them. The problem is when I add the nitrous. I started out with 14psi on nitrous and it was like driving on ice and quite frankly scared me a bit down track when the rear end slid out. Then I dropped the pressure down to 12psi and that didn't do it either. I just didn't think I would need to run lower pressure than that with the power the car makes. I know of other people running 9 psi in 600hp cars with the same tires. Should I just keep dropping the air pressure down more, or is something else wrong? I'm not use to having traction issues to this extent. I went from a car with 220hp/267tq to one with 422hp/504tq on the juice. Thanks

Last edited:

atrainsgt

Established Member
What RPM are you leaving at? Is it the same for N/A and Spray?

For spray I've been pretty much rolling off the line then going full throttle once the car is moving. N/A I've been launching around 6700rpm. It has trouble with the 28" slick N/A.

It has coil overs in front, stock springs in rear with Lakewood 70/30's and 50/50's.

Upgraded T56 transmission Cobra spec, with 4.30's in the rear.

Blackness03

Established Member
this might be a dumb question but how does the cars spray come on at 3300 if its on a WOT switch? i have a WOT switch on my car and it comes on no matter what the rpm is. if i floor it, it sprays

atrainsgt

Established Member
this might be a dumb question but how does the cars spray come on at 3300 if its on a WOT switch? i have a WOT switch on my car and it comes on no matter what the rpm is. if i floor it, it sprays

It has a window switch as well. I can make it spray when ever.

ninety8 GT

Mustang Fanatic
Established Member
Possibly the 4.30 gears are just too much with the nitrous? Maybe try some stiffer springs in the rear and try to drop the pressure a little more

atrainsgt

Established Member
I honestly don't know how old the tires are. That is a good point though. The slicks came with my car when I bought it. Do I just let out more air? They feel pretty stiff with 12psi in them and I imagine after a good burnout the pressure is quite a bit higher. I'm new to using slicks so I'm learning as I go. I'm racing tomorrow night and I might just use my drag radials since they are a bit more predictable for me.

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
i have to agree with camaro 94, time for some control arms. last mustang i had (92 coupe) i had built pretty well, once i added the 100 shot i couldnt hook for anything. i got a set of upper and lower control arms (hotchkis) and that helped a TON

atrainsgt

Established Member
i have to agree with camaro 94, time for some control arms. last mustang i had (92 coupe) i had built pretty well, once i added the 100 shot i couldnt hook for anything. i got a set of upper and lower control arms (hotchkis) and that helped a TON

It has HPM megabite JR lca's and UCA's, spherical bushings, lakewood shocks/struts with coil overs in front. Suspension should not be a problem.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Seriously, if you are spinning those slicks with that set up then the only thing that comes to mind is that the track prep sucks.

There are cars with more HP, stock suspension not spinning 15" DRs.

I would not continue to let air pressure down though.

atrainsgt

Established Member
The only thing I can think of is that my tire gauge could be inaccurate. It's a digital gauge that reads to the half pound, and it seems accurate. The track is prepped pretty well and other cars do fine on it. Here is a sample burnout.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M5M4nPPLp8&feature=related"]YouTube - Adam vs GTO[/ame]

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I watched a few others of yours also, That one was OK but hold the throttle a little longer after you release the line lock upon roll out. When you feel it "Bite" let off and then your ready.

Your launches look soft. Slicks like a hard launch, the tire needs to wad.
A soft launch doesn't wad it on the hit , it starts to wad more when in full puwer but won't hold it, it releases and goes into tire spin.

It is very hard to explain. lol

I would double check the gauge also, really don't look like 12psi but that is hard to tell from the video.

atrainsgt

Established Member
I watched a few others of yours also, That one was OK but hold the throttle a little longer after you release the line lock upon roll out. When you feel it "Bite" let off and then your ready.

Your launches look soft. Slicks like a hard launch, the tire needs to wad.
A soft launch doesn't wad it on the hit , it starts to wad more when in full puwer but won't hold it, it releases and goes into tire spin.

It is very hard to explain. lol

I would double check the gauge also, really don't look like 12psi but that is hard to tell from the video.

When launching on the nitrous I was rolling off the line. When I tried launching on the nitrous it blew the tires off.

Does it look like more than 12psi to you? The tires feel hard like there is more than 12 psi in them. I guess maybe they could be old like someone suggested. Keep in mind too that a lot of those videos I posted were the first day I got my car so I was doing a lot of things wrong.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
When launching on the nitrous I was rolling off the line. When I tried launching on the nitrous it blew the tires off.

Does it look like more than 12psi to you? The tires feel hard like there is more than 12 psi in them. I guess maybe they could be old like someone suggested. Keep in mind too that a lot of those videos I posted were the first day I got my car so I was doing a lot of things wrong.

Yes it looked like more than 12psi.
They could be old/hard.

It will also take time/practice to figure out exactly what the car does/doesn't like.

atrainsgt

Established Member
I'm going to drop them down to 10psi and see what happens. At 12psi I could just start to feel them wondering around at the far end of the 1/4 mile. So I think a little bit lower pressure won't worry me.

Users who are viewing this thread