Traction

Bostard

Established Member
I just got back from my 2nd visit to the track here in Las Vegas. My supercharged 99 cobra can only muster a high 13 sec pass because of major traction issues. I'm getting about a 2.5 60' time. I have ordered my Nitto 555R's in prep for next weeks redemption. Do you think that will be enough to pull my 60's down? What else should I be doing to get that thing to stick outta the hole?

We're talking high 13's at 105-110mph. Also keep in mind that Las Vegas is quite humbling to anyone who runs here. If you run 11's in CA or on the east coast, you'll probably only squeeze out a 12.2 here.

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Originally posted by Bostard
I just got back from my 2nd visit to the track here in Las Vegas. My supercharged 99 cobra can only muster a high 13 sec pass because of major traction issues. I'm getting about a 2.5 60' time. I have ordered my Nitto 555R's in prep for next weeks redemption. Do you think that will be enough to pull my 60's down? What else should I be doing to get that thing to stick outta the hole?

We're talking high 13's at 105-110mph. Also keep in mind that Las Vegas is quite humbling to anyone who runs here. If you run 11's in CA or on the east coast, you'll probably only squeeze out a 12.2 here.

Well your mph seems very low for what you have. There may be allot of different factors involved in that, I just don't have enough info to go on. Anyway with my S/C cobra running on Nitto dr's I pulled a 1.89 60ft. I can definitely improve on that, but it gives you some hope. :)

Try slipping the clutch out of the hole and feather the clutch when traction becomes a problem. It just takes allot of practice when you are putting allot of power to the ground. I think the best idea is to run on ET Streets or ET Drags.

Razor. :beer:

Bostard

Established Member
The 2 reasons I can think of that are keeping my mph down are:

1. It's just freakin hot!!!!!(hopefully October will bring different results)

2. I have the chip set for the hot summer right now which means lots of fuel and conservative timing to prevent detonating. That'll change as soon as it cools down.

Razor, I'm sure you're getting a lot better hook with the live axle in place of the old IRS. What parts are there right now for stiffening up the IRS and helping it to hook better?

I'm probably jumping to conclusions since I watched my 420hp cobra run such a piss poor 1/4. Now I want a smaller blower pulley and nitrous to make the difference.

btw, I got beat by an Eclipse that ran 12.70.

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Originally posted by Bostard
The 2 reasons I can think of that are keeping my mph down are:

1. It's just freakin hot!!!!!(hopefully October will bring different results)

2. I have the chip set for the hot summer right now which means lots of fuel and conservative timing to prevent detonating. That'll change as soon as it cools down.

Razor, I'm sure you're getting a lot better hook with the live axle in place of the old IRS. What parts are there right now for stiffening up the IRS and helping it to hook better?

I'm probably jumping to conclusions since I watched my 420hp cobra run such a piss poor 1/4. Now I want a smaller blower pulley and nitrous to make the difference.

btw, I got beat by an Eclipse that ran 12.70.

Well if your making 421rwhp on your current tune then you should trap much higher than 105-110. I was trapping 105-106mph with only gears and exhaust on my car at 298.6rwhp. I don't know what you can do to the IRS to help your launches out. I got rid of mine in favor of solid axle and never looked back. The solid axle is by far one of the best mods I've done to my ride.

The Nitto dr's will help you out big time over the factory radials (I hope you bought some wide ones). Practice on those tires and you should get a much better ET.

Razor.:beer:

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Well, the Nitto's didn't work for my Cobra. I got 2.1 60's with the stock BFG's and 2.0 with the Nitto's, no matter what PSI was in them! My car had the stock suspension though. I ended up putting 2003 half shafts in it and going to ET Streets. I immediately dropped .2 off the 60', and that was running them overinflated at 18 psi. I smoked the clutch before I had time to drop the psi to find the best pressure for them with the 3625 lb. Snake and the IRS.

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
I hope you are not going to run the stock half shaft with the drags. They will not last long. You may want to try the '03 Cobra shafts. I am going through the same thing you are. I just got a set of GKN's from a friend on this board and I may run some ET streets hoping to improve my 60ft. Good luck:)

William

Users who are viewing this thread