Trade my IRS? Your Opinion

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
A properly designed IRS is a great thing, however the packaging problems of the Mustang do not allow an IRS to be designed properly...

The IRS is a major improvement when compared to the stock 4-link design SRA in the Mustang, however put a torque arm/panhard bar or watts link on it and it's a much better system. Can you spend some money on the IRS and make it work better, yes... but it's not the IRS that's under a Corvette... Understand that the IRS in the Mustang is a big fat compromise...

In the (road) racing world that these cars run in (NASA AI/AIX, SCCA ITE) most choose to work with a properly designed SRA. A proper setup will handle just as well as a upgraded IRS, with less tuning and less chance of breaking.

I have the sneaky suspicion that production numbers have something to do with this...

Please detail the compromises of the Mustang IRS other than factory bushings.

Last edited:

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
fix.t

Full Tilt Boogie Racing Homepage

Keep IRS. SRA is only a benefit if you BUILD IT UP; meaning you will have to spend quite a bit on making it anything useful, and even then you still have a shitty stick axle that sucks for any driving other than when its being pushed to its limits (either Drag or RoadRacing).

for half that, you can go through and rebuild the IRS to be even more competitive, and it will have all the refinements of any IRS equipped vehicle out there.

people make the whole "yeah, well a solid rear with a panhard par and this and that will dominate a IRS", in which i go "yeah, a stock IRS, lemme spend the same $1500 and see what happens with a reworked IRS". End of argument.

Dont waste money with the whole DSS Lvl5 halfshafts; they are a waste and not a weak point as many the solid rear naysayers will say they are. They snap due to the shock of a hard launch on DR; any drag racer who is still on stock IRS (not modded) run soft sidewal slicks and they are on stock halfshafts with hundreds of passes. Why? Cause a soft sidewall slick soaks up the shock of the launch and does not transmit it into the halfshaft, whereas a DR would without remorse.

Please dont neuter another 03/04 due to misinformation by brainwashed masses who think a 50 year old stick axle with a few mods is a "better idea" or cause they say so many road racing/drag racing guys have them, its because there are more solid rear equipped vehicles to start out with, thus their voices are more prevalent, and not at all correct.

Griggs to to sell me a SRA set-up. No thank you....
SRA works great if it's stiff like a Semi or you're a drag racer..
Unless it's a 100% race car the IRS works just fine.
Jeff

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I have the sneaky suspicion that production numbers have something to do with this...

this all the way.

there are far more SRA cars doing road course events than IRS equipped ones, thus there are more "results" that sway the SRA opinion. youll see 10 SRA cars out to 1 IRS cobra on any given HPDE. If they went all IRS on all 99-04 and S197 chassis like they were supposed to, the whole SRA/IRS argument would be swayed the other way. But because IRS only makes up easily under 3% of mustangs out there, you dont hear or see much of them on the track as opposed to SRA cars where are ultimately prevalent.

not to mention the Griggs shit is bank, the cheaper kits for SRA modification i see are $2800. You know what you can do to an IRS for $2800? Sky's the limit.....

Last edited:

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
i prefer the irs to a solid.....i have had both in these cars. that's if it's a street car. if it's for nothing but the quarter then go solid. pretty easy decision IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread