trading the lightning for an 03 marauder

04dsglightning

Established Member
so ya...trading an 04 lightning for an 03 marauder.....

got one question...

has any one swaped the 03-04 cobra blower setup into the marauder?

found one locally for a good deal...

thanks

STLR FN

My Wiener's Covered
Established Member
04dsglightning said:

got one question...

thanks
Welcome to our collective. :beer:

Yes a few have done it. It's a pain but can be done. If you want a roots type blower check out TRILOGY.

bigslim

Established Member
04dsglightning said:

got one question...

thanks
A lot of work involved in that swap. A lot of fabricating that will be needed. There are other means of making blown power. There are a few centrifucal choices and there is the Trilogy Roots-Type blower which I have.

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
Got any pics of your MM? So was this a straight up trade? Or do you mean at a dealer. I love my car, but why would you want to go down from some power?

Bracketbomber

Established Member
trading L

04dsglightning said:

got one question...

thanks
all I can say is WHY would you trade a factory flyer for something that will cost thousands to make something that might keep up with a good tuned Lightning. Bang for the buck will always go to the Lightning.

Last edited:

BrookhavenTuner

Established Member
Bracketbomber said:
all I can say is WHY would you trade a factory flyer for something that will cost thousands to make something that might keep up with a good tuned Lightning. Bang for the buck will always go to the Lightning.

Performance isnt the onlything that determines a vehicles worth.

Bracketbomber

Established Member
performance ?

BrookhavenTuner said:
Performance isnt the onlything that determines a vehicles worth.
well, we have a Lightning and a Marauder. if I knew then what I know now, I would have saved a alot of money by not buying the Mercury. Basically, I could have had just as much fun and comfort with a Crown Vic LX and saved about 10,000 buckaroos. In 35000 miles I have already changed 4 tires, had to have a front hub assembly replaced, have smoke at start-up since about 20000 miles, and we basically use this car for traveling and not beating up on it. On the other hand, The 99 Lightning has been flawless, has the original tires on it, will run 12.70's at the track and is used regularly to tow our Mustang drag car wherever we go to race. just my .02 cents worth.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Bracketbomber - Don't come into another forum on the site and start bashing the specific niche vehicle. Do that in smackdown or roadside.

Bracketbomber

Established Member
bashing ?

RTStabler51 said:
Bracketbomber - Don't come into another forum on the site and start bashing the specific niche vehicle. Do that in smackdown or roadside.
To the contrary, in case you haven't really read my post, I HAVE A Marauder and being an owner does in fact give me the right to be on this site and speak my opinion. Sorry if your feelings are hurt by my post but, facts are facts. I am in no way bashing the car but the problems, compared to the price are what they are and I'm sure there are other owners that would agree with me on this. Please, don't get me wrong, but, L/M hosed every person that paid, in my opinion, a lot of money for a car that really did not deliver.

BrookhavenTuner

Established Member
I like how you assume YOUR problems effect ALL the cars...

My dads truck had a bad windows seal....damn I guess all F-250's have shit seals...

just because yo uhave had problems is no reason to say the car over all is junk, YOURS maybe, but not ALL of them.

I am sure there are people that have a Marauder and a L and the L has problems when the Marauder runs just fine.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Bracketbomber said:
To the contrary, in case you haven't really read my post, I HAVE A Marauder and being an owner does in fact give me the right to be on this site and speak my opinion.
It does not give you the right. Its not a democracy. I'll give you some leanacy(sp?) since you do own one, but constructive criticism is appreciated. Posts like yours are Smackdown material. Period.

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
Strictly Performance in Houston 713.910.0111 has done a Kenne Bell Marauder and it is very sick.

I rode in it about a year and a half ago and that big ass car was almost as fast as my Terminator, so it seemed.

Last edited:

Bracketbomber

Established Member
opinions

BrookhavenTuner said:
I like how you assume YOUR problems effect ALL the cars...

My dads truck had a bad windows seal....damn I guess all F-250's have shit seals...

just because yo uhave had problems is no reason to say the car over all is junk, YOURS maybe, but not ALL of them.

I am sure there are people that have a Marauder and a L and the L has problems when the Marauder runs just fine.
First of all, you own neither so anything you say is just your opinion. second, read through the Marauder sites and see just how many owners have the blue smoke on start up problem along with the low tire life. third, ask the Lightning community how many of their trucks are as YOU state junk. I bought the Lightning new as well as the Marauder. I never said the car was junk, I only stated the facts about the problems with it as opposed to the Lightning. Bone up on the facts before you share your uneducated opinions. Sorry about the seals on your dads truck.

BrookhavenTuner

Established Member
Well I DO know that its the same damn motor as the mach1, and I have not heaed of a single one with any smoke problems.

I also have a guy that is on the corner of my street that has an L that has barely moved in 3yrs due to it constantly breaking...and hes stock.

You dont have to OWN a car to know about them..hell most people I know that have cars know less about them then the people that DON'T own them.

Bracketbomber

Established Member
smoke

BrookhavenTuner said:
Well I DO know that its the same damn motor as the mach1, and I have not heaed of a single one with any smoke problems.

I also have a guy that is on the corner of my street that has an L that has barely moved in 3yrs due to it constantly breaking...and hes stock.

You dont have to OWN a car to know about them..hell most people I know that have cars know less about them then the people that DON'T own them.
To be honest, I don't know anyone personally that has a Mach l, but, I did get a personal message from one gentleman who does own a Mach and he was asking me if Ford had done anything with our Marauder about the smoke because his Mustang was doing the same thing on start up. There is an issue with the 4V cylinder heads and if you know anyone that works at a dealership, ask him about the heads. The dealership did an oil consumption test on the Marauder, i'll explain how they did this. First, they changed the oil and filter. after that, they marked the dip stick at the ( full ) point, the problem is, when I got home, I checked the oil and found the mark they put on the stick was nearly 3/4 of an inch below the full level. What that means is that when I brought the car back after 3000 miles, the level was reading pretty close where they marked it. therefore, it didn't use any oil !!. When I brought this trick to their attention, they proceeded to tell me that Ford considers using 1-1/2 quarts of oil in 1000 miles normal. I don't know how old you are but, in today's close tolerance engines, using that much oil in 1000 miles is totally ridiculous. My first car was a 1964 Marauder, it had a 390 in it and maybe and I mean maybe used 1 quart of oil in 2500 miles, also, I was young and beat the snot out of that car. I'm not trying to say you don't know anything about these cars but, I've owned a lot of cars and none of them have been to the dealer for warranty work as much as this one. Back to the Mach 1. the early automatic car uses the Marauder engine with the Marauder cylinder heads as does the stick car. The heads were upgraded later into the model run ( why ? ). The stick car also uses the Cobra steel crank, rods and pistons so it depends on which one you have.

Last edited:

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
It's usually the passenger side that causes the problem on the '03's. Mine does it too. It's just left over fuel in the heads. Nothing to be worried about. It does more often in the cold weather, and doesn't do it at all in the warm weather. There's a member on the MM board who just finished his KB setup. 540rwhp, 470rwtq. Congrats to 04dsglightning for owning something rarer than a Lightning that will never be produced again, and he is 1 of the 11,052 MM owners who are happy.

Last edited:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I think it's much lower now then the 11,052. The only major changes from the Auto Mach over the Manual is they use a forged crank due to the 7200 RPM red line over the 6000 for the auto.

What I have found out with both type of vehicles is they have pros and cons

Seating and room the Rauder. Options and luxery Rauder again. Hauling towing Lightning. Usable Torque Light. Looks all dependent on whos around 15-20 Light 20-35 Tie 35-45 Rauder 45-70 Rauder.

Fuel they'er both equal about 25 MPG Hiway regular driving about 14 if I drive them like I stoled it. Thats basicly how mine are. And both are lightly moded also.

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
Yes, the number has definately dropped since I have seen a lot of crashed MM's. I'm guessing maybe 11k in change now.

Users who are viewing this thread