Tranny, Clutch, or ??

goldenbear

Established Member
Transmission: T45- 130K miles
Clutch: Centerforce Dual Friction: 35K miles
Clutch Cable: 35K miles (Ford)
Flywheel: Fidanza aluminum flywheel 35K miles
Shifter: MGW short Shifter

About 4 months ago, I started noticing that from time to time, whenever I would shift down into 4th gear and I was letting the clutch go, I would hear a very small grind and the gear would pop back out into neutral. The second attempt to put it in 4th gear would go perfectly fine. I never really thought anything of it-- I thought maybe I was just letting go of the clutch a tad too soon on those occasions. Then about a month ago, the problem got a lot worst. I would press the clutch in---> shift down to 4th----> let go of the clutch---> and the gear would pop back into neutral. This problem started occurring more often (sometimes multiple times before i successfully got it in gear). I did notice that that if I pressed the clutch--->shifted down to 4th----> kept pressure down on the shifter going into 4th as I was letting go of the clutch.... that I would have more success from keeping the gear popping into neutral when I let go off the clutch. Then a few days later, whenever I tried keeping pressure on the shifter down as I let go off the clutch, i could feel a really bad grind and then it would pop right back into neutral. This same exact problem then started occurring on all the gears when shifting down towards me (2nd, 4th, reverse). Now I can't shift into any of those gears without feeling a super really bad grind. So I removed the transmission off the car yesterday, and down on the floor, the tranny feels fine shifting down into the gears in question.

What could be the issue? The entire clutch kit was replaced 35K miles. Could that be worn out already? How long does a clutch normally last? Could it be syncros in the tranny? Not sure how to proceed. Also want to note that all the gears shifting up (1, 3rd, 5th), they all work perfectly fine. Have no problem shifting into them. Help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'll update this post with pictures of the clutch and flywheel later today.
image000000.jpg

image000002.jpg
image000003.jpg
image000004.jpg
image000005.jpg

Last edited:

railroad

Established Member
I did not catch what shifter you have, but if it has shifter stops on it, I would check them or at least back off the back one.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the stops are out of the way I'd guess synchros. A clutch that doesn't disengage completely usually causes hard shifting, but won't cause it to pop out of gear. What fluid did you fill the trans with?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Hate to say it, but it sounds like your trans might be in need of a rebuild. You did all the checking I would do. I just had a trans for a 69 corvette rebuilt and it was similar. Upshifting was fine, but down shifting was hard. Especially going from 3rd to 2nd. It ended up needing a full rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread