Tranny cooling.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Anyone tried bolting on the Boss 302 tranny cooling scoop? I've heated up the tranny enough in the SVTP GT to get it to puke oil out of the vent tube. A little cooling may help it in the long run.

ViciousJay

Established Member
if i dont trade my car in today im swapping fluids this weekend, Travis i would go with the RP stuff if Jimmy has any or recommends any (pass any info on) or go redline

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
you rally need to drive it hard to warrant a tranny cooler on a manual car,,,How about better tranny fluid????

It helps cool off the clutch a little too. The tranny fluid is coming.

if i dont trade my car in today im swapping fluids this weekend, Travis i would go with the RP stuff if Jimmy has any or recommends any (pass any info on) or go redline

I have a couple of different fluids from Royal Purple to try out. May put one in this weekend.

Entrenched

Established Member
I have it on mine; it's the lowest point on my car and has to be removed for oil changes.

I figure if Ford took the time to design it, it has to be worth something plus if you're already spending money on the transmission why not? I'd definitely look at a fluid change (transmission and clutch) and get the JPC line upgrade.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have it on mine; it's the lowest point on my car and has to be removed for oil changes.

I figure if Ford took the time to design it, it has to be worth something plus if you're already spending money on the transmission why not? I'd definitely look at a fluid change (transmission and clutch) and get the JPC line upgrade.

Have a link to the JPC line upgrade?

FWP!

Established Member
These transmissions already have cold ambient temp issues. Why make them worse by adding a cooler?

After speaking in person to the man in charge of Ford Racing North America while standing next to the #15 BOSS 302R CTSCC car, I will definitely be getting what they nickname "the kitty litter scoop" for my car. If you do ANY tracking at all, ever, it's a very good idea. They use the #15 and #16 for testing (#16 had quite a few more sensors on it), and one sensor was transmission fluid temp and they helped design the scoop which they now use at every event. They also have a pair of rear diff fluid coolers but that's another subject. But anyway, 1.5 quarts isn't much oil for a transmission that's dealing with 400 ft lbs incoming.

cbaty08

Established Member
After speaking in person to the man in charge of Ford Racing North America while standing next to the #15 BOSS 302R CTSCC car, I will definitely be getting what they nickname "the kitty litter scoop" for my car. If you do ANY tracking at all, ever, it's a very good idea. They use the #15 and #16 for testing (#16 had quite a few more sensors on it), and one sensor was transmission fluid temp and they helped design the scoop which they now use at every event. They also have a pair of rear diff fluid coolers but that's another subject. But anyway, 1.5 quarts isn't much oil for a transmission that's dealing with 400 ft lbs incoming.

Since you touched on the subject about this tranny's limits... can anyone here verify where we can find factory specs on this tranny?

I hear some folks mention the idea that this tranny can't handle the stock motor period. Thoughts?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Since you touched on the subject about this tranny's limits... can anyone here verify where we can find factory specs on this tranny?

I hear some folks mention the idea that this tranny can't handle the stock motor period. Thoughts?

They seem to be holding up fine to power. The issues it has seem to be as present in the higher power cars can also be found in basically stock cars.

cbaty08

Established Member
They seem to be holding up fine to power. The issues it has seem to be as present in the higher power cars can also be found in basically stock cars.

Oh, I know; I just am still unclear of what the specs are and just care to know I suppose?

Users who are viewing this thread