Tranny issue...

guinnkyle

I love my Contour
Established Member
I just noticed that when I jump in my car and press the clutch in it seems really soft sometimes and also when I'm driving I shift into third and it grinds quite a bit. I've only driven my car like 20 miles the last three months because of this. If I need the whole tranny rebuilt anybody know roughly how much it would cost? Do you think it might just be my clutch or both? This car drives me insane how much money I've dumped into it. Anyone interested in buying it for 3500? I have a killer aftermarket stereo in it.

brapple

Established Member
I would start with bleeding the clutch. but I would also go alittle further also. takea turkey baster and change out the brake fluid in the resivor. then bleed all the brakes and the clutch so that you get new fluid into the system.

as for the 3rd gear grind that it pretty typical. check that the cables are adjusted correctly and then go from there.

as for a rebuild cost you have some options. if you are comfortable openning up the transmission yourself you can sent the shafts to HMS for rebuild.

Or you can send the whole thing which might be a good idea. How much depends on what you want done. if you want the works with diff, coated gears, keyed shift tower, etc you are looking at $2k plus. a base build would be more like $1500 or so. you would need to contact HMS to get specifics.

willis1998

willis
Established Member
hell i dont know of a contour that doesn grind third. mine has did it ever since i owned mine. but only if im gettin into it and if i let the rpms go down it wont grind. i hear u on dumpin money in to it. in the past 3 months ive went through a egr valve and the 2 pain in the ass lines that go with it, cat clogged up, driver window cable broke, front right motor mount broke.

brapple

Established Member
:rollseyes because you can expect a used car to be perfect ....

none of my 3 cars grind third gear .....

egr valves normally don't go bad or cause problems so I wonder why you needed to replace it. a clogged cat is also not to normal. did you just assume that since you had a pre-cat code that it was plugged? those codes are often wrong. window motor cable, well shit happens. my father had one break the other winter because the window iced closed and the force snapped the cable. front right motor mount??? there is only one motor mount and it is on the passanger fender. now if you mean a roll restrictor then that is a different story. also I don't know how it would break, wear out sure, break, most likely not.

sounds like you guys got cars that where beat on and not taken care of. My SVT was well taken care of and in 1 year and 10k miles it hasn't needed much. I want to repalce the IAC and it needs a fuel pump. but these are common problems so no big deal there.

anyway to the op, did bleeding the clutch do anything? the soft pedal could be old fluid, or a weak clutch master cylinder or slave.

willis1998

willis
Established Member
well if its not the motor mount then what is it. its my the air box. and the bolt broke off. that might be why im having a hell of a time finding a new one. i noticed it broken last sun and who knows how long its been broken. is this something that should be fixed rate away.

4GTNSVT

Hatin' In My Free Time
Established Member
well if its not the motor mount then what is it. its my the air box. and the bolt broke off. that might be why im having a hell of a time finding a new one. i noticed it broken last sun and who knows how long its been broken. is this something that should be fixed rate away.

If your talking about the one under the air intake that is the trans mount. My bolt did the same thing didn't know it was broke till I had to replace the shift tower bolt inside the trans. I got lucky and the bolt broke enough that I was able to still unscrew it out of the mount and just replace it with another grade 8 bolt. I know that BAT makes a replacement trans mount and I believe its like $120. iirc

EDIT: Here is the link to the BAT stuff http://64.202.180.37/files/contour.PDF look at page 32...Is this the mount you are refering to.

Last edited:

Silver Bullet2

Established Member
I would start with bleeding the clutch. but I would also go alittle further also. takea turkey baster and change out the brake fluid in the resivor. then bleed all the brakes and the clutch so that you get new fluid into the system.

+1
I believe our hydraulic clutches are often unknown or overlooked by repair shops. Last weekend I did 4 wheel brake job and then complete system flush after. Actually the fluid flushed from brake lines didn't look so bad but the clutch line was nasty. I suspect brake shops or PO have flushed brakes (or at minimum cycled through plenty of brake fluid in 140k miles) but the clutch was probably original. Clutch felt fine before but good preventive maintainence to do.

Users who are viewing this thread