Tranny issues...

Immortal LuD

Established Member
I've done quite a bit of thread searching trying to find out what my issue is, and I've heard a lot about how bad our T45's are, bad syncro's, and other problems. I had a T3650 in my Mach 1, and it was problem free. I kind of miss it. :(

Anyway, when I start driving my car, typically 5th gear always grinds a few times when going in, and it was hard to get it to go into reverse. Typically 2nd gear grinds when driving the car hard as well. I know my TOB is making lots of noise too.

Just the other day when I was leaving work, the car wouldn't go into reverse. So I let off the clutch, pressed back in, and when I was warming up the shifter, I put it into all the gears, and then into 5th while being at a stand still, and the car grinded!

What the hell is my issue here? I have no idea what kind of tranny fluid is in the car, but I plan on either putting in some Royal Purple Syncromax, or Mercon.

Let me know if you guys have any clue if this is just a typical T45 issue, fluid problem, or bad syncro's.

Thanks guys!

GreenSnake

Established Member
You have to put the car into first and let the clutch out a little in order to get into reverse. I have had two grinds, but I think it was the temperature because it was literally freezing outside. My tob is gone too. It's probably the synchros. How many miles are on your car?

Immortal LuD

Established Member
I just hit 53,000 miles. Temps outside lately have been around 80 degrees.

I just don't have money to spend on fixing issues like these, so I was trying to do a little research on how to grease up the TOB without dropping the tranny, etc... That noise is getting to me.

When I first start my car up, if I run it through the gears a few times, it usually does pretty good. I have tons of videos that I've been taking of my car, and 2nd gear has been a PITA lately with grinding.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You have to put the car into first and let the clutch out a little in order to get into reverse.

yes, putting the car in a forward gear will help with engaging reverse.
However, I've NEVER had to let the clutch out at all to get into reverse. I've owned 5 5 speed stangs, never had to do that. That's probably why yours has grinded twice on ya. :shrug:

mystical

Established Member
yes, putting the car in a forward gear will help with engaging reverse.
However, I've NEVER had to let the clutch out at all to get into reverse. I've owned 5 5 speed stangs, never had to do that. That's probably why yours has grinded twice on ya. :shrug:

Sometimes, just putting it in gear is not enough. That's when you have to let out the clutch and creep forward, stop and it'll go right into reverse.

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Well I was parked up to a curb. If I had moved or creeped forward anymore, I would have put my bumper up on it. So... Yeah. Never thought I would have to creep the car forward to get it into reverse.

We have 0 issues with the T5 in my Bro's 5.0 Cobra. That thing has over 140,000 miles on it, and shifts smoother than mine, never grinds, and makes NO noise at all.

Ugh!

Again, what fluid would be the best to use?

Immortal LuD

Established Member
See, that's the deal. When I was asking around the Mach 1 forums about my T3650, everybody was fighting over whether to use non synthetic, or synthetic.

So, should I pick up some Syncromax by Royal Purple, or just stick to Mercon?

Immortal LuD

Established Member
I've done the only adjustment I could do, which is lifting up on the clutch, and then pressing it all the way down... Never helped me in any way on any of my Stangs.

I grinding 5th gear TWICE while sitting still today before I left... Stupid crap, but once it's done it twice or so, it won't do it again for the rest of the day.

I picked up four quarts of Royal Purple Synchromax, (shit is EXPENSIVE), and I'll be putting that in tomorrow, along with checking the bump stops on my shifter. I don't even know which aftermarket shifter is in there, but it feels good.

We'll see how that works out.

GRNSNK1

GRNSNK1
I have the same problem, but my cobra has over a 100k miles. I would like to know if a t-3650 will work in place of the t-45.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Change your fluid dextron III/Mercon ATF add a bottle of friction modifier and look at replacing your cable and quadrant [FRPP].

Immortal LuD

Established Member
I heard it was a complete bitch to install the quadrant and cable. I'm sure I'll never get around to that.

I found out I have a B&M shifter, and it was in great shape. We drained the whatever substance that was in there, and it was overfilled like a MOTHER. Looked like a quart or more must have poured out.

Got my Royal Purple Synchromax in, got the shifter back on, and it feels MUCH better. Much smoother. But while driving around, when I hit it in 1st gear, it seems to always grind when going to 2nd.

I also found that the bump stops were never adjusted when the B&M was first installed, so I went ahead and got those set.

We'll see how it turns out after I drive it a bit more.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Grinding going into second is either a bent fork, or a synchro.

The quadrant and firewall adjuster take 20 minutes total to install. Seriously
If the cable you have is adjustable, throw it in the trash. OEM cable only.

carkrazy

Nitrous Junkie!
Established Member
sounds like synchros are bad. my car has 24,000 miles and i'm having the transmission rebuilt by promotion powertrain right now.

Last edited:

uofipilot

Established Member
I found out I have a B&M shifter, and it was in great shape. We drained the whatever substance that was in there, and it was overfilled like a MOTHER. Looked like a quart or more must have poured out.

I hope there was more than a quart that came out! The t-45 takes about 3.5 quarts of fluid. Did you fill it through the shifter mount or through the fill hole? How much did you use? You should fill it through the fill hole till it starts coming out the fill hole.

I used Royal Purple MAX ATF in mine about two years ago. Since then, the trans started making a LOT more noise when its idling in neutral when the trans is hot. I'm thinking about going back to conventional in the spring to see if it gets any better.

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Well, I meant to say that we removed the top plug first, to see if the level was too high, or low. So it seemed there was almost 4 quarts came out, if that's even possible.

It ended up taking almost exactly 3.5 quarts before it started to overfill.

If you change yours out, let me know how it works out!

Users who are viewing this thread