Tranny noise after DFX, 26 spline install??

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I just finished installing the DFX, 26 spline input shaft, new pilot bearing, new TOB and guide tube. Now, when the engine is running, the trans is in neutral and the clutch is engaged, I hear a new noise form the transmission. When I put the clutch in, of course it stops. It basically sounds like gears and bearings running which is what you would expect I guess but I never heard it loud like this before. I shimmed the input shaft to essentially zero endplay and I am wondering if it is too tight. Or, maybe I did something else wrong with this process. Or maybe I worry too much. Anyone else notice this?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I actually have right at 2thou. preload on my trans. Shifts awesomely and is ultra quiet. I'm also using a Liberty 26spline.

Low fluid, too loose, and you of course, did grease the pilot bearing right?

Or, how about the clutch fork pivot ball?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
New pilot bearing with plenty of grease, a little grease on the pivot ball and filled the tranny with new Royal Purple until it came out the fill plug. I'm thinking the shim job might be the problem. The stock shim was .0398 which was too thin for the new 26 spline assembly. I ended up using the thickest shim I had which was .0434 before the shaft felt tight. Following the directions I got from the guy at Liberty, I whapped the input shaft on the end with a rubber mallet to seat the bearing, same for the output shaft, and then checked for "catching" as I turned the input shaft while holding the output shaft with the tranny in neutral. This is supposed to indicate that it is not too tight. Then you add the sealant and reclose the cover and torque down. The sealant might add another .0003" or so clearance. With the smaller shims, I could actually wiggle the shaft back and forth laterally which means it was really too loose. I had a hard time getting an end play measurement with my dial gauge setup because it was hard to get any axial movement even when it was clear that the shaft was loose side-to-side.

Users who are viewing this thread