Tranny or Clutch Issues...maybe both

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
I just purchased an 03 OW Cobra with 50k miles. I have never driven one before so I do not know first hand how the transmission or clutch is supposed to feel. However, my clutch pedal is a real workout in stop and go traffic. This is ridiculous if this is the norm. Also the trans. is notchy and doesn't go in the gears smoothly. It does not grind but it does not feel right. Any suggestions? Is the stock clutch normally very hard to press down?

Guess I will start by checking the trans fluid.

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
The clutch is very heavy stock... just fyi... I have driven many term's and not to many of the tranny are a nice glide in gear... What kind of manual trans are you comparing the feel to?

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Do you know if the car has an aftermarket shifter? I remember when I first drove a Cobra with an aftermarket shifter (tri-ax) I thought "wow this feels notchy", but really it was just the fact I wasn't used to it...

Redfiredemon

Established Member
The stock clutch is a beast, thats one of the reasons you don't see to many chicks driving terminators. The shifting can be a bit notchy as well, you may want to try syncromesh tranny fluid.

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
Do you know if the car has an aftermarket shifter? I remember when I first drove a Cobra with an aftermarket shifter (tri-ax) I thought "wow this feels notchy", but really it was just the fact I wasn't used to it...
I checked and the shifter is Pro 5.0. I have owned a Mach that I put a MGW shifter in and loved it. The shifter in the car is also not bent towards the driver so it is a reach for third and fifth. I find myself moving the seat closer to the steering wheel in order to feel comfortable. Being 6'2 makes it very cramped. I have owned several manual trans cars in the past. Some were easier to shift than others but none were this notchy. I think something is not right but will need to figure out if its the clutch, the shifter or the trans.

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
The clutch is very heavy stock... just fyi... I have driven many term's and not to many of the tranny are a nice glide in gear... What kind of manual trans are you comparing the feel to?
I am a car dealer so I have driven too many manuals to remember but this cars by far the worst. I am leaning towards the clutch not engaging all the way or being adjusted incorrectly. Is there any type of fluid for the clutch? Hydraulic or Mechanical clutch?

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I am a car dealer so I have driven too many manuals to remember but this cars by far the worst. I am leaning towards the clutch not engaging all the way or being adjusted incorrectly. Is there any type of fluid for the clutch? Hydraulic or Mechanical clutch?

The clutch is completely mechanically operated via a cable. There are points to check in the stock system for problems the most likely source being the stock quadrant. The stock clutch quadrant is fabricated from plastic and is therefore weak and known for failing.

You'll also want to check the stock TOB retainer sleeve, it is also weak and known for failing. Popping off the protective cover around the cable connection point to the clutch fork will give you a good view to the clutchs operation. If you want to see what's going on, put your car on jackstands or a lift and pull off that cover and have someone actuate the clutch with the car running, you'll quickly see what the deal is. Obviously be careful of the moving back tires! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread