tranny problem please help

whitefiveo

Established Member
ok when im sitting at a idle in first gear and i let off the clutch as soon it starts to move it will make a loud clunk, this happens in first and reverse, also in every gear if i let off the accelerator ....

i jacked the car up last night and while it was in first gear i can grab the drive shaft and turn it about 1/2 inch either way and when it stops is when the clunking sound comes out of the tranny... any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated...

fox5oh

OVERWEIGHT COBRA
Established Member
Well I have the same problem with my cobra...... Just the clunks come from the rear.. Are you sure its the trans thats makiing the noise????? If you end up need a trans let me know.. I got the stock trans outta my 94 cobra with a few goodies in it..

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I bet it's your front U joint, not your tranny. That's something cheap and easy to replace.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
My car has been doing the same thing and when I was having my new T45 put in this weekend I asked my guy to check it out. He found that the rubber axle side upper control arm bushings were completely disintegrated most likely from autocrossing the car twice a month every month on sticky @ss tires in a car with 160,000+ miles. So check those out for sure :)

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
My driveshaft has play in it too, I get the clunk in reverse, I was under the car this weekend messing with it but I am not sure if the driveshaft is supposed to move before it engages...anyone know? This seems to be common amoung a few of us here

Users who are viewing this thread