Tranny problem, starting to get discouraged.

Bleedsblue

Established Member
I bought a 99 Cobra a couple of weeks ago and it seems like one thing after another. I replaced the fuel pump on Tuesday. The throw out bearing or pilot bearing is wining in the morning, the abs light is on and tcs light is "off" and now the tranny grinds from 3rd downshifting to second. I thought the tri-ax shifter just needed to be adjusted but I did it tonight (and it was a bit off) but now it still does it unless I ease it into gear. Could it be the shifter or is it the tranny? The car only has 54,000 miles on it. Carfax was clean for what it's worth. I know if it was beat on then it could be the tranny but the car doesn't seem beat. The other problems are all basic maintenance issues but I am breaking the bank here and I haven't even done anything to make it faster yet! :mj:

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
The grinding sounds like a blocker ring or synchronizer problem. The whining is likely the throw out bearing.

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
Sorry to hear about the problems. It is always a bummer when you buy a used car and find things you didn't expect.

I would make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. Make sure the floormat isn't in the way of the clutch pedal stopping you from putting it all the way down. The mats someone put in my car are thick and I have had that happen to me. Start simple first! Could be that someone replaced the clutch and put a non-OE throwout bearing in there. They due tend to squeak. Usually nothing serious.

Hang in there...

Bleedsblue

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the problems. It is always a bummer when you buy a used car and find things you didn't expect.

I would make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. Make sure the floormat isn't in the way of the clutch pedal stopping you from putting it all the way down. The mats someone put in my car are thick and I have had that happen to me. Start simple first! Could be that someone replaced the clutch and put a non-OE throwout bearing in there. They due tend to squeak. Usually nothing serious.

Hang in there...

It didn't come with floor mats so that rules that out. I have had the clutch to the boards and had it happen. A guy has a 3650 out of a 03 mach1 with 30,000 miles on it locally for 800 bucks. Is this a good deal? I may just get it and cut my losses. Would I be better off having a local tranny shop with a good rep for racing transmissions rebuild my t45? What should that cost?

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
fix it, fix is RIGHT, and move on forward bud. Its all part of it when you mess around with cars like ours. Things love to break, and break again.

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
A guy has a 3650 out of a 03 mach1 with 30,000 miles on it locally for 800 bucks. Is this a good deal? I may just get it and cut my losses. Would I be better off having a local tranny shop with a good rep for racing transmissions rebuild my t45? What should that cost?

I would have the T45 built with a warranty and then you know what you have. I have bought used transmissions with success, but that was when starting with nothing on a build.

tistan

Established Member
It didn't come with floor mats so that rules that out. I have had the clutch to the boards and had it happen. A guy has a 3650 out of a 03 mach1 with 30,000 miles on it locally for 800 bucks. Is this a good deal? I may just get it and cut my losses. Would I be better off having a local tranny shop with a good rep for racing transmissions rebuild my t45? What should that cost?

If the tranny shop just fixes what is wrong then it should only cost $2-300. That is if you pull the trans and take it to them. If they pull the trans it should cost $6-700. Unless you take it to a shop that is going to try to rape you. If they tell you something ridiculous like $2000, you need to take it somewhere else.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Not necessarily, individual gear issues can be repaired w/o rebuilding the entire trans. You will have to take the trans out to repair either way. Stick with the T45 over buying a used 3650. The $800 would be better spent fixing yours.

Does this mean tranny rebuild or replace?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Not necessarily, individual gear issues can be repaired w/o rebuilding the entire trans. You will have to take the trans out to repair either way. Stick with the T45 over buying a used 3650. The $800 would be better spent fixing yours.

I agree, infact the TR3650 is garbage compared to the T45

Every single one of my local mustang people with a TR3650 complains about it.

For your shifting problem, try flushing the fluid and replacing it with Dexron/Mercon III.

Chances are that the last owner put in synthetic fluid which is too slick to allow the synchros to slow enough to shift and the result is a grind.

Valvoline offers a Dexron/Mercon fluid for $3.50-$4.00 at your local parts stores including Walmart. Do not put in anything else.

Bleedsblue

Established Member
fix it, fix is RIGHT, and move on forward bud. Its all part of it when you mess around with cars like ours. Things love to break, and break again.

I know man. I love it! I don't really care... until I run out of cash! I am going to call a few local shops on monday. It's just a lot all at once.

I agree, infact the TR3650 is garbage compared to the T45

Every single one of my local mustang people with a TR3650 complains about it.

For your shifting problem, try flushing the fluid and replacing it with Dexron/Mercon III.

Chances are that the last owner put in synthetic fluid which is too slick to allow the synchros to slow enough to shift and the result is a grind.

Valvoline offers a Dexron/Mercon fluid for $3.50-$4.00 at your local parts stores including Walmart. Do not put in anything else.

I am going to try that first. What about Royal Purple fluid?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I know man. I love it! I don't really care... until I run out of cash! I am going to call a few local shops on monday. It's just a lot all at once.

I am going to try that first. What about Royal Purple fluid?

I guess that I failed to tell you not to put in anything else huh? :??:

I'm a total failure.

006 said:

Bleedsblue

Established Member
I guess that I failed to tell you not to put in anything else huh? :??:

I'm a total failure.

Ok, Ok, sorry... I am very thick and slow and absent minded. I tend to get distracted half way through a sentence. BTW how much of that stuff do I need? 3 quarts?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread