tranny problems!!

roostracing

Established Member
hey guys...i just recently had my tranny rebuilt....pretty much stock tranny with a shift kit and i seem to be having problems all over again. Before i had the tranny rebuilt, this thing would kick so hard into gear and felt awesome. But for some reason, the tranny would throw out transmission fluid through the dip stick. I took the tranny to get rebuilt and and they told me that the housing was cracked at the rear near a "sleeve" type piece. They overhauled it with a used housing and told me it was ready. I test drive it and the truck shifts weak like there was never a shift kit before. I let him know that the tranny is shifting week and he opens it back up and tells me that there was never a shift kit in the truck. So i asked him why the hell the truck shifted so hard before and now it doesnt? He gave an excuse that the tranny was probably building alot of pressure and that these type of trannys are known to do that. When they are old and going out the will shift hard. Ive never heard this before...i thought that the would shift weak. Anyhow he installs a shift kit now and it shifts "ok" but NOTHING like it did before. Man before it would shift HARD! So now im at the track testing her out and i run a 15.28 and then back it up with a 15.24. Best time ever by the way, but the third time i go up the damn truck wont even do a burn out anymore. I press the brake and floor it and it wont even spin the tire. Like something is holding it back. It stalled 1900 rpms on the 1st 2 runs but on the tird and fourth it would only stall 1100 rpms and no matter how much you floored it with the brake down it would not spin the tires!! I'm thinking its the converter. Any input on the shift kit thing or converter? The 3rd pass i ran a 15.5 and it took off very sluggish. Any feedback would be nice!! Thanks in advance!! :thumbsup:

roostracing

Established Member
i'm not sure if it had one because ive only had the truck for about 3-4 months now, but it did shift extremely hard into 2nd and a little softer into 3rd. Thanks for the info though...wish i wouldve bought an Art Carr convertor though!

Users who are viewing this thread