tranny problems

zepfloyd69

anyone have or know of any problems with the t56's in the cobras?

mine seems to be a little finiky lately, driving normal or at the track sometimes cant get it into 3rd any suggestions, could this have anything to do with the clutch or is it mostly a tranny issue?

but it does drive fine most of the time

thanks

Chargedvenom

Established Member
Mine shifts strange into second from first. Sometimes if shifts just fine but most of the time it feels like I am shifting without the clutch. It hits second hard almost to the point of grinding the gears but doesn't quite grind.

zepfloyd69

there is no grinding when i shift, however it is sometimes hard to get the tranny in gear

never had this problem on any of my t5's

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
T-56 has been a problem free trans. Most of the problems have been coming from the clutch. That's what i'd look at first.

Cobro

Banned
From" http://www.alfageek.com/03faq.htm#_Toc35092467

5.13. Grinding gears
Many owners have trouble properly shifting their Cobras, due to a combination of the shifter position/travel and in some cases poor clutch adjustment. For more info on resolving these problems, see 4.9.

4.9. Why do I keep missing gears?
The stock shifter is a bit difficult to get used to due to the placement of it and the difficulty of finding gears. Third and Fifth are commonly missed gears. However, your clutch may also be part of the culprit, especially if you miss the 1-2 shift. Ensure you have the clutch properly adjusted before your run by following the procedure outlined here: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20714
If this procedure does not work, you may need to invest in an adjustable clutch quadrant.

predator

Established Member
If you don't have a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster get one! Best mod you can do IMO. I had all the same problems. First time at the track it finally got so bad I thought I blew the tranny, but found after letting the car sit for a few hours that the clutch was over heated from not fully disengaging. Stock adjuster had no more adjustment in it. After installing the triple hook quadrant and firewall adjuster I have not had the problem since.

Users who are viewing this thread