Tranny Question

93COBRA2104

Established Member
Which one should I get?

X2C TKO Version 1.0------------------------------------$1695.00
rebiuld my T-5 through G-Force Transmissions----$ 1500.00
Tremec 3550---------------------------------------------$ 1600.00

Which would any of you guys buy?

The prices are all estimates, the real prices are unknown to me. Thanks for your input.

Milward

buddha93

Established Member
I've kinda had my eye on those X2C. Theyv'e caught a lot of flack from other tranny guys, saying that there's no way they can build a tranny like that for the money. All I know is what I see, and there cars fly with those trannys, and I haven't heard anything negative about them yet......it's been all positive. Check over on the Corral. I know a few guys are using that tranny.

As far as G-force, they pretty much speak for themselves. Awesome tranny company. The advatage to the T-5, is that it's much lighter (less rotating mass) and could be built to handle more power.

I have a 3550 and it's been abused and so for has held up nicely. I don't know what your plans are as far as power is concerned, but if it was me, I'd probably give the X2C piece a try. Of course I'm running a blown, stroked, combination. :)

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
my 3550 has seen alot of abuse and continues to hold up very well. (one instance I broke the clutch cable and shifted with no clutch 78 miles back home...mostly freeway.) and it still shifts perfect

93COBRA2104

Established Member
G-Force=1600, and they wont install.
BOOOO

Its now really down to the X2C and the normal 3550. I am really leaning toward the 3550 be cause I have only heard good things about it. Not only that but it is a little cheaper.

Thanks for the input.

Milward

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I guess it all boils down to how much hp you have and plan to have. If your hp will exceed the standard tremec, then youll need the x2c. Otherwise, I would stick with the standard tremec.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
...it all boils down to how much hp you have and plan to have.
EXACTLY correct. What do you plan on doing with this car? I'd definitely stick with the 3550 if you keep it slower than mid-11s. Save money and more street friendly (read less noisy/bulky feeling). Good luck. -James

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Don't do G-Force. Read about a guy who busted his after driving 7.5 miles. Thread was on streetcarforums.com but I can't find it right now.

cobra93

Established Member
Originally posted by LEE93COBRA
Don't do G-Force. Read about a guy who busted his after driving 7.5 miles. Thread was on streetcarforums.com but I can't find it right now.

This is a bunch of bunk. Please read Uncle Robin Lawrence's reply on this story here: http://www.nmraracing.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19983

The G-Force gearset T5 is a very strong transmission. I ran a helical-cut unit built by Pro Motion out of Ft. Lauderdale the last third of the season last year with great success. That transmisison was in fact the very same transmission that Brian Meyer ran at WFC last year where Brian put down about a half dozen high 9-sec passes. I put about 35 passes on it following that in the 10.30s. The very same transmission went back into Brian's Real Street car for the race last weekend at Atlanta where he placed runner-up.

They are good transmissions and G-Force is a standup company. I met Leonard Long at PRI last year and he is a true gentleman. Leonard has been working with Walt Lehman of Pro Motion for several years on these transmissions and they have become quite refined. I now have a Pro Motion straight-cut T5 with the G-Force gears in the car for this year.

If you drive the car on the street, the dog-faced engagement allows for pretty decent downshifts also. I would not cross this transmisison off your list. Give Walt a call and he can build you anything.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I saw the same post over at the corral when it made it's rounds. It sounded a little suspect to me as well, so I refrained from adding to it. Now that I see the same post went to other boards as well, then I seriously doubt it broke due to G-force's fault. Sounds like they tried to help the guy out, he got unreasonable, and they said, "oh well".

I have no experience with the Gforce, myself, but I do know how the tremec tranny's are. They are a little more notchy than a t5 is (IMHO), but the closeness of the gear shifts more than makes up for it (2nd to 3rd in a t5 is like 2nd to 5th in a tremec - the gates are that much closer).

93COBRA2104

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will be going with the 3550. I am not yet ruling out the TKO, but I also dont plan on being much over 350-375 ft. lbs. of torque either. The will almost definately stay N/A so it wont be too powerful.

As for my projected pwer numbers, which do you think?
TKO?
3550?

Thanks again.

Also I was going to get a driveshaft and a new clutch, any advice?
Thanks!

Oh and I meant a normal Tremec TKO, not X2C, thanks.

Last edited:

psucobra

Established Member
Somebody correct me if Im wrong but you will need a bellhousing for a Tremec, and a new shifter. You will aslo need to modify your crossmember so that the tranny mounting points are farther back. This can be done by breaking the welds and sliding it back on the mouning tubes and rewelding it.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
I thought you only had to break the washer welds on the crossmember. They can be moved foreward and aft once the welds are broken. I did not think it was the whole crossmember unless you went with the TKO. :shrug:

93COBRA2104

Established Member
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

okay guys, now I am thouroughly confused. I can buy an adjustable crossmember from Fo Mo Spo? Do I need a driveshaft? I was already going to buy a new shifter...I have a Tri-ax on the T-5, what would you guys recommend? Do I need a bell? Do I need a clutch? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do this right.

Thanks again,

AB Milward

psucobra

Established Member
ok, you can either modify your existing crossmember or buy a Tremec specific crossmember (http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/crossmember.htm), You dont need a driveshaft or a clutch if your going with a 3550 (TKO requires a differnt yoke and clutch). You do need a Tremec specific bell housing and shifter. If you like the Tri-ax get one for a tremec.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread